MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: A Homestuck Video Game?! (Kickstarter FAQ and Discussion)

super baller butt pirate Admin Blueberry's Avatar
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Question A Homestuck Video Game?! (Kickstarter FAQ and Discussion)

Thread 1 Thread 2

WHAT? There was a kickstarter??
    Yes. Go ahead and read it, there's a lot of info there!

Whoa! Can I pledge to it?
    No.

But... I want the game!
    Good news! You will be able to buy it after it is released.

Will I be able to get a physical copy (CD or USB)?
    We don't know yet. It seems likely that a limited number of physical copies will be made available, but that is not guaranteed.

Can I get the rest of the Kickstarter reward items?
    Some of them are for sale from Topatoco or What Pumpkin. The others may be available for sale in the future, but we do not know yet and it is extremely likely that they will remain Kickstarter exclusive. (there were also a small number of scalemates, etc made available at conventions in the 2012/2013 season, but it was very limited.)
    EDIT: More of these items are now available, such as the scalemates and the tarot deck. Others are still not available.

What kind of game will it be?
    An adventure game.

What's an adventure game?
    Here is the wikipedia page for "adventure game".
    Adventure games are story-based games driven by exploration and puzzle-solving. Some common examples are "point and click" adventures, "text adventures", and "visual novels".

But "adventure game" doesn't necessarily mean it will be a point and click!!!

Okay, so it's an adventure game. Can you give me some examples?
    Peasant's Quest
    Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die (text adventure)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Text Adventure
    Hamlet: The Text Adventure
    Mystery of Time and Space

Some others you may have heard of or even played:
    Myst
    Sam & Max
    The Walking Dead
    Grim Fandango
    Zork
    The Secret of Monkey Island
    Ace Attorney
    Hotel Dusk
    Professor Layton
    King's Quest
    Pajama Sam / Putt-Putt / Freddie the Fish
    Gone Home
    Broken Sword

So.... like Zelda?
    No. Not like Zelda. The Zelda games are considered action-adventure, which sounds similar on the surface but is a very different kind of game. An adventure game is NOT simply a game where you go on an adventure.

Will it be more like (...)
    It will not be an RPG, an RTS, a first-person shooter, a fighting game, a Tetris or Pong clone, a dating sim, a racing game, a flight simulator, or a board game. It will be an adventure game. Andrew Hussie, being the kind of creator he is, will probably push the limits of the genre and may include aspects of other game styles, but it will primarily be an adventure game.

Will it be SBURB?
    Almost certainly not.
    EDIT: Andrew has clarified that it is not SBURB.

Will it be multiplayer?
    It's unlikely, but we don't know yet. Most adventure games are designed to be exclusively singleplayer.
    EDIT: Andrew has clarified that there is no multiplayer.

Who's making it?
    That information hasn't been released yet. There will be a blog (exclusive to Kickstarter backers) that will post information about the development process of the game once it gets more underway.
    EDIT: This information has still not been released. Andrew "has a moment in mind".

Where's the backer blog?
    It doesn't exist yet.

When is it coming out?
    A release date has not been announced yet.

But how far are they in the development process? Have they done ANYTHING with our money??
    From Andrew's recent newspost (on the main MSPA site):
    It's coming along. I'll probably have a more substantive update on that before the end of the year. There hasn't been much to report yet since it's mostly been in a high level planning and writing phase. And firming up tons of legal minutiae. Stuff like that.
    Who's making the music?
    That information has not been released yet. It is unknown if the current MSPA music team will be involved or if the game studio will have their own musicians involved. The music will probably only happen in the very late stages of development.

Wait, what kind of legal things?
    From reddit contributor mhink:

Why is Andrew making Namco High and not the Homestuck game???
    Namco High is a side project of his. It won't interfere with the development of the game or the end of Homestuck in any way. It is unrelated to Homestuck and the kickstarter.

My question isn't answered here!
    Please read all the questions again, keeping in mind that we know very little at this point about the game or what it will be like, so there may not be an answer yet.

No, seriously, I have a question.
    Send a private message to one of the moderators or admins. (I, Blueberry, made this FAQ and am therefore volunteering to field such questions. Soft owl has more information about the game than most people due to being an employee of What Pumpkin, but she is not allowed to share it so bugging her about what she knows will just make her angry and then she will peck out your eyes with her mighty owl beak.)

edit: thank you to soft owl, SkaianRedeemer, PetPeeve, tastySalamanders, Blaperile, InnerRayg, and the other contributors to the discussion in the previous threads!

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: A Homestuck Video Game?! (Kickstarter FAQ and Discussion*)

Look, an update!

If you backed the Kickstarter it will be in your Kickstarter and email inboxes.

If you didn't back the Kickstarter, here is a summary:

• Yes, work has been accomplished on the game, but there isn't a lot to show yet.

So what can I say about the game for now? How about I start by clarifying what the game is NOT. I hope I'm not using too much vertical space to state the obvious here. But I've seen enough conjecture like this to think some selective debunking may be in order.

• You will not be able to design or customize characters. The game includes a hard wired cast of protagonists.
    • The game will not involve Sburb. It won't be some crazy MMORPG involving kids playing Sburb and the insane number of things that would entail. For one thing, Sburb is a very broad and ambitious game concept which implies a project with a much bigger budget than the one this has. For another thing, that idea is not quite what an "adventure game" is. And besides, in my view, a bunch of kids playing Sburb is what Homestuck is about. This game will be about something different.
    • Game will not be multi-player. Again, that's not really how adventure games work.
    • No voice acting. VA in this game sounds like a can of worms to me, and too easy to do badly. I'm personally not that big on VA in games like this anyway. I think it'll be a stronger product without it.

If you already knew all that, thanks for bearing with me! If you didn't, and are disappointed by those facts, I am sorry.

Now here are some things that the game WILL have!

• New characters. All major characters in the game have never appeared in Homestuck before.
    • New story. As mentioned, does not involve Sburb, but does take place within same fictional realm as Homestuck. Events of story have only a loose relation to canon HS storyline. It is not necessary to read HS to play game.
    • Trolls.
    There were some other details that I won't post here because they were intended for the Kickstarter backers who paid to see updates.

Eagerly waiting for
    fanart/cosplay/roleplay logs/whatever.
    Last edited by ASBusinessMagnet; 12-31-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    Sburb Fanventure Do's and Don'ts: a must-read for anyone intending to start a Sburb fanventure or having started one but not having made it past 10 pages

Pronouns
    thon

I wonder how many characters there are. Will there be 4, 12, or will Hussie change it up a bit and make 8 or 10 playable characters?
    Can you develop the characters?

I wonder if the girl is related to any of the current HS characters...

I really want to know how this ties into the backer blog and how restricted all this information is supposed to be, because since as it is this is backer restricted, so is it like a non-backer blog, backer blog update? Because I believe soft owl said that to access the proper backer blog that we would need to agree to a confidentially agreement or something?

So like how much of this can we post openly? How much of this can be added to the wiki (because I've temporarily locked the page until we know how to handle it)?
    male-candy corn gay-candy corn Australian-candy corn

I have a Tumblr! Also I help run the MSPA Wiki which also has a Tumblr! Why does a Wiki need a Tumblr? Why doesn't a Wiki need a Tumblr? Also you can add me on Steam.

Gigapause: 6/12 or bust.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Yo everyone, spoiler this shit!

We who backed via What Pumpkin rather than Kickstarter haven't received the email yet. I want to hear this from the horse's mouth.

(Yes I am referring to Andrew as a horse; who wouldn't?)

drillgorg's hat appreciation Admin soft owl's Avatar

Unfortunately I'm not sure how we're planning on handling the Paypal backer blog. Right now we're in the middle of a whole bunch of mess with regards to web development overall and that ties into it. We wanted to update before the end of the year, hence the update on Kickstarter itself. I'm really sorry! I don't know much more than that. I would prefer if we not repost stuff from the update here, but speculation should be okay??

Sorry, and thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by soft owl View Post
    I would prefer if we not repost stuff from the update here
    I assume this means that you would prefer if none of the new info was posted to the wiki too? Because if so I will try and get that new policy implemented and also possibly upgrade the protection on the wiki page.

I have a Tumblr! Also I help run the MSPA Wiki which also has a Tumblr! Why does a Wiki need a Tumblr? Why doesn't a Wiki need a Tumblr? Also you can add me on Steam.

Scribe of Fic/Knight of Space authorialAlchemy's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

New characters. All major characters in the game have never appeared in Homestuck before.
    New story. As mentioned, does not involve Sburb, but does take place within same fictional realm as Homestuck. Events of story have only a loose relation to canon HS storyline. It is not necessary to read HS to play game.
    Trolls.
    All the MAJOR characters... which means we might still see some familiar trolls. :0

HELL YES, TROLLS! Does this mean it will be set on Alternia and it'll get the deeper worldbuilding it deserves or will we see the other trollplanet? Is Condy going to win and she will be overthrown in the future and the game is about that?

I am so excited about this! I think we'll see more details about it when Homestuck ends.

Huh. I just got an update for the first time. I thought my donation wasn't successful. Maybe it's because my mule e-mail address is too dumb to type and I made it specifically so I could have a Facebook account so my RL friends from high school could find me.

*still reading it*

OH HEY THERE'S
    Last edited by authorialAlchemy; 01-01-2014 at 03:36 AM.

Party Captain AdminGorg Drillgorg's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Pretty serious spoilers here, but I'm pretty sure that I spotted a

on the edge of the picture of the

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by tastySalamanders View Post
    I assume this means that you would prefer if none of the new info was posted to the wiki too? Because if so I will try and get that new policy implemented and also possibly upgrade the protection on the wiki page.
    feel free to post the info about what it is not, but please don't include the information about

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    feel free to post info about what it is not
    But that's... basically anything...

And thus began the most off-topic thread in the history of MSPA Forums.

Seriously though, I'm struggling to understand "does not involve Sburb, but does take place within same fictional realm as Homestuck." Surely pretty much anything of that ilk is effectively a Sburb construct, from dream bubbles to god tiers to sylladexes and so on? Unless it just means that the game will be set amongst all those things but does not actually involve any of the characters in the process of playing Sburb. I don't know. It's very late.

Re: A Homestuck Video Game?! (Kickstarter FAQ and Discussion)

You'll see! It'll all make sense eventually. :]

Also, targeting an audience that doesn't know about Homestuck? That also narrows down the possible choices.

I'm betting on a group of human explorers arriving at Alternia ancestor-time because... whatever. The ancestors thus are background characters who the Homestucks can cling onto, while the main characters, surely enough, are original humans and trolls.

EDIT: Backed by
    Last edited by ASBusinessMagnet; 01-01-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    Sburb Fanventure Do's and Don'ts: a must-read for anyone intending to start a Sburb fanventure or having started one but not having made it past 10 pages

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    feel free to post the info about what it is not
    As 11 Eagle said, that is kinda vague. But I'll try to be as restricted as possible, but really the question was more to determine the ongoing maintenance of the page, as wikis are kind of edited by anyone and everyone.

But anyhow, made the safest edit possible.

I'm really sorry I can't be more helpful, tS. I'm still trying to get concrete information and I don't have any yet. If you'd like to shoot me an email, I can keep you in the loop? I really can't stress enough how grateful I am for your support.

Thinks robots are p cool ✭[GimeurCookie]'s Avatar
    Pronouns
    [any]

Super excited about the new info that we got. Also glad that a lot of stuff finally got 100% some solid answers, while most of the info we learned was heavily hinted or implied before that didn't stop many from thinking it would be Sburb, the Game.

Last edited by ✭[GimeurCookie]; 01-01-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    [Tumblr]----[ FORTUNA ]----[Random]
    "A Space adventure about life and robots, but mainly about robots, in fact I'm lying it's just about robots."

And now to wait for a leak

Quote Originally Posted by soft owl View Post
    I'm really sorry I can't be more helpful, tS. I'm still trying to get concrete information and I don't have any yet. If you'd like to shoot me an email, I can keep you in the loop? I really can't stress enough how grateful I am for your support.
    Its no problem, although I can't imagine exactly what I would be kept in the loop about.

On that note, I did some final stuff to the policy regarding this, I figure it is good enough so it is up for voting/comments, because wikis aren't dicatorships (they aren't democracies either, but that is neither here nor there).

You can read the proposed policy here.

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

blueberry, is it ok if i shared your summary post on reddit? it's useful.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Am I allowed to theorize wildly and/or use all information distributed in the emails as desperately pathetic attempts to justify my ships?

That is what Homestuck is about, no?
    WARNING: Contents of my posts may be more sardonic than they appear.

Skype Stuff:

incredible Username Unclever title's Avatar
    In one place per continually changing instant of time.

It's nice that we have that whole "what the Homestuck Adventure Game is not" as official as possible now.

Now hopefully people will start believing us.

Also, I'm surprised we haven't really made use of an acronym for the game yet. HAG just fits so well.

Trolls.
    I'm not sure why but this surprised the heck out of me. Maybe because I thought it would be based even less on Homestuck's story than it currently isn't. Or maybe I considered the Trolls more integral to Homestuck as a story than I should have? Shrug. I guess I though "based in the same realm as homestuck" to be more of an indicator of setting, within a universe frog (but no reference to it as a frog), and a physical reality integrated with game mechanics, both convenient and inconvenient.

It makes perfect sense that they'd be in HAG now that I think of it. Roughly half the internet seems to think Homestuck = Trolls (and only trolls) anyway.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I'm not sure how this is going to work. This forum thrives on long armed speculation..yet we can't speculate on the most speculation-worthy part of the upd8 because of its backers-only status?

I am at least 85% positive that I just said that ^
    homestuck is tumblr and tumblr is me

^Projects I'm involved with^

Well the backer blog was supposed to be a sub-forum here that would only be accessible to backers. If that was up we could speculate as much as we wanted in its privacy.

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

vbulletin developers are hard to come by in this day and age, unfortunately. not like i blame them or anything. vb is really hard to customize easily due to some awkward design decisions and general slowness.

Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast