MSPA Forums
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: HUSSIE MAKING A DATING SIM?!?!?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: HUSSIE MAKING A DATING SIM?!?!?

Is it still worth playing even if you didn't have Deluxe Pak?
    Adventures

Well, you definitely won't regret playing it.

You cannot name your character Zoosmell Pooplord.

You can, however, name him Flighty Broad. Which I find hilarious.

Scribe of Fic/Knight of Space authorialAlchemy's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

I'm going to start playing it just to check it out. I ain't buying shit, though. If someone could take screenshots of the Homestuck characters' dialog, that would be kind of you.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Well, I asked for it for Christmas because why not. Idk its definitely not something I'd buy myself, though. here's hoping someone does a complete playthrough.

angry though that except for my waifu galaga ship all of my favorites are from the deluxe version. why

very worried owl Admin soft owl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonyLunacy View Post
    I'm going to start playing it just to check it out. I ain't buying shit, though. If someone could take screenshots of the Homestuck characters' dialog, that would be kind of you.
    I think that might be tantamount to piracy?

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

On top of that, its probably not a good idea to ask it here of all places. Just sayin.
    3DS friend code: 3625-8807-3994
    http://dragcave.net/image/J1q4k.gif

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Namco High was absolute crap.

I honestly found all of the character grating, the presentation terrible, and the writing a waste of time. Also, what immersion? Not all of us are anxious fucks, and The Cousin is supposed to be "us in every way". Also, everything seems so forced and awkward. There's no fucking way to just be friends with people.

I hated the game.
    I'm an irradiated jackass here to make your day a little more splendid. Subjectively speaking of course.

(Psst. Pssssst. I help make GameCracked. It's an embryonic fanadventure thoseguys has been planning for eons. Enjoy.)

Pronouns
    ey/em/eirs

Oh no, here I was worried about being the rude one! Gosh, moonyLunacy.

To be honest, I can't say I got angry or really hated it. I just couldn't get into it the way I'd hoped to, and I saw many missed opportunities for improvement.

Honestly, there was a lot of things that could of been done with it. My main problems with it is that it absurdly short (I completed Anti-Bravoman's storyline in about 16 minutes, excluding the intro scene. I feel like each character should be around an hour if you actually read the dialogue) and that the writing wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great either. It just falls into the middle, which isn't good for a game focused on dialogue. The art is nice, at the very least.

To be totally honest, I wish there was a bit more choice other then "choose a character" and "yes or no".
    Last edited by Crasher; 12-19-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I thought the game was extremely basic but entertaining. There's no conversation choices, you just get to pick who to spend time with for each event. Some of the story lines are better than others. I agree that they are all blindingly short

I've played through Galaga, Aki and Davesprite's so far (his was the best; mostly because of Dave's dialogue shenanigans and the weird meta nature of his existence.) Aki's was alright, and Galaga's made me laugh quite a bit. As it stands, the game is not worth $15. There just aren't enough features and the storylines are too short. But I have a feeling this was a big experiment on Shiftylook's part. They might have kept the scope of the project limited so they could get it out in a reasonable amount of time and because the success of it was uncertain. I hope they add more content but..from the look of the nonexistent features...probably not. There just isn't anything to build on.

The writing of most of the characters is very cartoony, lots of simple statements and short jokes. Cousin tends to be corny but really accommodating considering that most of the people around him are insane. The comedy is hit or miss, most of the humor for each story line revolves around one character trait (Aki's schedule is overcrowded, Galaga is a spaceship,
    Davesprite is meta etc). As silly as this game is, there are a few dating sim feels to be had. Davesprite's arc was well written enough to contain a few, even though it only took me a half hour to complete his arc.

I wish this had been more ambitious, but the writing and art are good enough to make up for lack of interactivity. Just barely.

I am at least 85% positive that I just said that ^
    homestuck is tumblr and tumblr is me

^Projects I'm involved with^

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkemon View Post
    Siliconera did a thing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/16...co-dating-sim/

The Galaga ship sure is loved.
    "I said, what’s a dating sim? They said a dating sim was like a kind of interactive story where people, usually a variety of handsome animes, are guided into romantic situations by the player. I said, that’s what a dating sim is? They said yes. Why, what did I think they were? I don’t know. I was just picturing something better than that. They said they didn’t know what to tell me, that’s just what they are. I said that sounds pretty dumb. They frowned in agreement. Then I said this is going to be great."

This is just kind of sad in hindsight honestly

Also vaguely annoyed (very vaguely) by people using "dating sim" and "visual novel" interchangeably when there are pretty clear differences

But who even cares about that god Nix shut up

“Clear” differences? Trying to explain the difference is like trying to explain the British Isles; all you will do is put off outsiders.
    Philosophers are unsure; Godbert does not care.

Pronouns
    ey/em/eirs

I just wish during development someone had put signs saying "Is It As Fun As SBAHJ Football Simulator 2012 Yet?" on Rohac, Pereyda, Panagariya, and Kreyling's desks. Big signs, highly visible, impossible to ignore. They would have set their sights higher for sure!

Obtain the Penguindrum! magicksRampage's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

So I just finished the last of the free character routes and now I see myself faced with the decision whether to buy more or not. Well, if I am going to buy anything, it will be the Deluxe Pak, because I really want to have the homestuck characters - after all Hussie being the creative director is what got me interested in the game to begin with. I haven't really played any dating sims before.
    HOWEVER, I don't really agree with the idea of making the homestuck characters exclusive to the deluxe pak; it's easy to see that as a way of milking the homestuck fans, who really just want to play their routes, for money. I know there might be other reasons for that decision, like the Namco characters should be the focus of the game, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

HOWEVERx2, looking at the game as a whole, I could totally see myself pay $15 for it. I have bought games with a worse length/money ratio before. Regarding the length of the game, I think it would have been beneficial to have less characters, in favor of a longer story arc for each individual character. I can also see how they wanted to incorporate characters from as many games as possible though. It's a difficult balance to strike, I guess.
    But yeah, the routes are a bit short... kinda, very. That said, Lolo's route was the one I, not so much enjoyed, but found the most emotionally captivating, while Galaga, even though its premise is the most hilarious, left me the least satisfied. Since I haven't played any other dating sims before, I can't really compare Namco High to other games of that genre, and I'm sure there's more than a few references to common genre tropes, that just went completely over my head.
    I also like the game assets. The art is just great - especially Mr Driller, I'm a huge fan of Gigi's - and the soundtrack is good, too, though there's only a few tracks.

Overall I agree with mizushimo, the game should have been more ambitious, but I still like it, for the most part.
    Now I guess I'm looking for more opinions from people who actually bought the deluxe pak, to help me decide.

All it takes is one bad day... Tirgo's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

i started playing and i got pretty interested up until i was told that i would have to buy all three of the homestuck characters

that's when i stopped playing and never returned
    3DS FC: 0920-0818-2494

Current Most Important FAdventures: Romantic Lime Adventure, an adventure about limes and romance, and Tirgostuck, the continued (text) adventures of the citizens of a strange world.

And I also write Homestuck fanfiction, I guess??

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

See it's weird because I really really love Gigi's work but Mr. Driller was my least favorite character visually.

And yeah mR, making the Homestuck characters paid was a blatant grab for money. But it's totally justified because it's bonus content. You're right, the game isn't supposed to be about Homestucks. But it was a fun little thing to add in for Hussie's fans, and something he probably wouldn't have been allowed to do if there wasn't some kind of benefit to it. Sure it would make the game more popular, but it wouldn't do all that much for Namco. And that's what they were hiring him for.

Still feel like "true ending" doesn't carry the same sense of accomplishment when it takes zero effort.

Obtain the Penguindrum! magicksRampage's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I actually don't have a problem with the Homestuck characters being premium content, it's just that you can't buy them individually, or the three of them as a pak. You have to buy the $15 deluxe pak, even if you only want to play their routes. This doesn't directly affect me, I'm a completionist, so I want to play all the routes, but I imagine there's a lot of people whom it does affect.

people seem to forget that the deluxe pac gets you four things
    1. access to all 15 namco and all 3 homestuck characters
    2. the digital soundtrack with 10 tracks
    3. a set of namco high themed wallpapers, both normal and widescreen, 18 in total
    4. a set of namco high character avatars, 19 in total
    you're not just getting access to 3 paths you wouldn't get otherwise, but other content; in the spirit of fairness i urge everyone to keep this in mind before bashing the price of the deluxe pac

Scribe of Fic/Knight of Space authorialAlchemy's Avatar
    Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Quote Originally Posted by soft owl View Post
    I think that might be tantamount to piracy?
    Okay. I did not know that.

very worried owl Admin soft owl's Avatar

Well, think about it. The game is basically still images with words. There are also sounds, but generally speaking, screenshotting out a game like this is basically pirating it. That might fly in a forum with looser rules, but it would not fly here.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

i'd rather watch playthroughs on youtube than pay fifteen dollars to read a hundred lines of text about improbable love between someone who obviously isn't me and homestuck characters i wouldn't even consider dating

Current Most Important FAdventures: Romantic Lime Adventure, an adventure about limes and romance, and Tirgostuck, the continued (text) adventures of the citizens of a strange world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirgo View Post
    i'd rather watch playthroughs on youtube than pay fifteen dollars to read a hundred lines of text about improbable love between someone who obviously isn't me and homestuck characters i wouldn't even consider dating
    Okay well fuckin do it then?

What part of that requires you to post about it on the guy's own website? Like he's gonna be super psyched about how you totally got away with not paying for his stuff he's trying to sell? Come on people. Pirate it if that's what you're gonna do but you don't have to brag about it.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by InnerRayg View Post
    Okay well fuckin do it then?

What part of that requires you to post about it on the guy's own website? Like he's gonna be super psyched about how you totally got away with not paying for his stuff he's trying to sell? Come on people. Pirate it if that's what you're gonna do but you don't have to brag about it.
    i am hurt

i don't think i can take these kinds of harsh words

Music Team

Tirgo I would be a cameo in tirgoquest and totally webcomic date you. You're beautiful. Don't listen to Rayg.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast