MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Fangame] Caseyquest

[Fangame] Caseyquest

CASEYQUEST

PLAY ONLINEDOWNLOAD

Chrome usually works best, Firefox is a close second. If something really doesn't work though, it's probably best to either refresh or download the .exe

General info:
    Caseyquest is a short 3-level platformer meant as a silly filler for the three year Prospit kids' gap. Admittedly, not everything is done as efficiently as it probably could be, but this is my first (and probably last) completed game ever so it's been a huge learning (read: debugging) experience. Also this is my first thread here so hi hello! I hope I'm not breaking too many rules, and also this is probably one of the only posts I'm gonna type with proper grammar. I appreciate all the input and bug reporting, but please read list of known glitches!

Credits:

Screenshots:

In-game Tips:

Known Glitches:

Changelog (highlights for latest fixes):
    Last edited by Mew; 12-18-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Pronouns
    ze/hir/hirs

Re: [Fangame] Caseyquest

This is really cute
    Tiny Davesprite for the win

The style for it in terms of art and play are very cute and fairly cool. I think though that perhaps an animation for killing imps could be added in if you were to do anything more with this! Although some switches are clearly for Davesprite, perhaps a variation on color between John/Windy switches and Davesprite switches would be a subtle way to clue players in.

At one time John got stuck in his jump animation but otherwise, this is pretty cool!

Tip from me: scout uncertain jumps with Davesprite.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

This game is cute and cool.
    Just some bugs: When buying extra hearts, you can get negative grist. Also, a bunch of greyed-out hearts appeared, but I couldn't heal them. On the other hand, all the hearts seemed to get 'crammed' into the original 3 hearts, making you much more resilient, if that makes sense. E.g. instead of an imp dealing 1/2 a heart of damage, they deal 1/10th of a heart. But healing is also scaled down, so you only heal 1/10 of a heart when you should heal 1/2.

At one point (can't remember exactly where) Davesprite got stuck at the bottom of the screen and could only move from left to right. Not sure how I fixed it, but I didn't have to restart thankfully.

At another point, John slowed down to abysmal speed for some reason (I think it was after charging for a long Windy Thing). He only stopped going slow when I made him do the Windy Thing again.
    Tumblr

Pronouns
    he/him/his

looks great, I'm impressed. a few bugs I'd like to point out:
    sometimes, after I finish talking to someone, their sprite will remain on the side of the screen. no big deal though.
    I did get a bajillion hearts from the option, and it took away 100 grist.
    sometimes John got stuck in his jumping animation. I couldn't jump until I did the windy thing / attack with the hammer.

otherwise, great! I like the art and it's well made.
    complaints: too short.
    Last edited by Yayz; 11-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    I used to be active but now exist only to lurk and occaisionally post on the pokemon thread.
    Feel free to check out the magic in the spoiler!

i hope it's socially acceptable to individually reply bc that's what about to happen

Quote Originally Posted by cinereousSynesthete View Post
    This is really cute
    Tiny Davesprite for the win
    thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthiena View Post
    The style for it in terms of art and play are very cute and fairly cool. I think though that perhaps an animation for killing imps could be added in if you were to do anything more with this! Although some switches are clearly for Davesprite, perhaps a variation on color between John/Windy switches and Davesprite switches would be a subtle way to clue players in.

At one time John got stuck in his jump animation but otherwise, this is pretty cool!

Tip from me: scout uncertain jumps with Davesprite.
    oooooooooooo yeah different colored switches is a very good idea! i had a bit of trepidation about mixing the switches but that would def solve the problem. i also thought about using davesprite as a way to utilize the camera for uncertain platforming in some parts, but it kind of seemed like anything that if you needed to scout offscreen was probably too far of a jump anyway. i'll keep it in mind though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Science View Post
    This game is cute and cool.
    Just some bugs: When buying extra hearts, you can get negative grist. Also, a bunch of greyed-out hearts appeared, but I couldn't heal them. On the other hand, all the hearts seemed to get 'crammed' into the original 3 hearts, making you much more resilient, if that makes sense. E.g. instead of an imp dealing 1/2 a heart of damage, they deal 1/10th of a heart. But healing is also scaled down, so you only heal 1/10 of a heart when you should heal 1/2.

At one point (can't remember exactly where) Davesprite got stuck at the bottom of the screen and could only move from left to right. Not sure how I fixed it, but I didn't have to restart thankfully.

At another point, John slowed down to abysmal speed for some reason (I think it was after charging for a long Windy Thing). He only stopped going slow when I made him do the Windy Thing again.
    thanks for reporting all the bugs! even though the first one is already listed i actually think i know exactly what the problem is with the healing the extra hearts/compressed health! i realized a little late that i hadn't actually beta-tested that particular option. i'm not sure about john, but i think davesprite might have gotten stuck between some solids or some weirdness with the edge collision? i'm not sure if i can do much if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayz View Post
    looks great, I'm impressed. a few bugs I'd like to point out:
    sometimes, after I finish talking to someone, their sprite will remain on the side of the screen. no big deal though.
    I did get a bajillion hearts from the option, and it took away 100 grist.
    sometimes John got stuck in his jumping animation. I couldn't jump until I did the windy thing / attack with the hammer.

otherwise, great! I like the art and it's well made.
    complaints: too short.
    yeah! the first two glitches i've listed and am looking into. not sure about john again, but i'm adding that to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkarrus View Post
    oh man this was p. fun
    but buggy yeah
    what did you use to make it?
    thanks! the coding is hovering around Barely Adequate, i must say. i used construct to make it!
    Last edited by Mew; 11-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Master Douchelord Vyro P. Dragon III's Avatar

New bug report time.

Sometimes if I used the windy thing to kill an Imp, John would suddenly walk REALLY SLOWLY until I used it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyro P. Dragon III View Post
    New bug report time.

Sometimes if I used the windy thing to kill an Imp, John would suddenly walk REALLY SLOWLY until I used it again.
    woops yeah sorry i forgot to add to the list! it was just mentioned above. a bit of a puzzler since i haven't actually encountered this one before!

Insignirodentiamourous Varkarrus's Avatar

well one thing I definately have to comment on that I'm sure nobody else will have thought to compliment you on is the lack of amibition in the game. Yes that's a compliment. I mean, it's a bigger compliment to say "oh hey you're game was super ambitious but you managed to get it down anyways!" but no it's not like that. I've been making games for 6 years and I can count how many I've finished on one hand, while the unfinished games would require more limbs than me, my mom, my dad, my sister, and my two best friends all have together, so kudos to you.

also yeah I had the slowed to a crawl bug a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkarrus View Post
    well one thing I definately have to comment on that I'm sure nobody else will have thought to compliment you on is the lack of amibition in the game. Yes that's a compliment. I mean, it's a bigger compliment to say "oh hey you're game was super ambitious but you managed to get it down anyways!" but no it's not like that. I've been making games for 6 years and I can count how many I've finished on one hand, while the unfinished games would require more limbs than me, my mom, my dad, my sister, and my two best friends all have together, so kudos to you.

also yeah I had the slowed to a crawl bug a lot.
    ??____?? oh wow i had to read that a couple times to understand what you meant but!! that's an interesting compliment that i may have to chalk up to both inexperience and naivety haha.... when i originally started this project, it was actually meant to be a platformer spanning all four kids' lands starting with john who had the ability to add his friends to his team and go through gates and switch characters based on special abilities and items that can be alchemized and various powerups etc etc eT C until i actually. started making the thing. it was actually around december and into january of last year that i started, and the plot around that time seemed to fit better than this really ambitious and totally uncanon game. i had started to realize at that point that the amount of time that would go into animating and drawing all of the tiles on my own was just absolutely absurd sooo here's where i nod and bow my head a lot at because it's totally true! if i had known how much time would be spent coding and frickin debugging and animating i probably would have left the idea in my english notebook and never touched it again. now i've resolved try to keep the scope of my projects within this general size or at least recognize early on what the limit is because it makes worlds of difference especially in the motivation department. also! it made more sense to me to have a short game that players could finish instead of something long and dull that may possibly have wasted the time and effort of everyone who helped me make this!

and......... now i'm gonna crawl off my pretentious soapbox. thanks again!! that really resonates.

+ oh yeah ok i see what you mean about this the bug now. blah blah blah if anyone cares it's buried in the charging code where john's movement is supposed to be limited before he attacks, but it doesn't properly disengage if he's running while charging. i might just remove this at the expense of him having the appearance of sliding along while standing. somehow i guess i never tried running and attacking simultaneously. how convenient.
    Last edited by Mew; 11-21-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Just finished all the chapters. You did a really great job with this! Somehow, I didn't experience any bugs at all. The levels were very well designed and the physics worked fine for me. I loved the inventory system, but I would also love even more items.

You should definitely make more. I don't even care if it fits with canon.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../averyicon.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tine%20sig.png

Whoa hey neat neat finals week was a great excuse to finally sit down and do some debugging! Here's a copy-paste of the glitches I (hopefully successfully??) fixed:

• The salamander's hp bar didn't go away when the salamander was destroyed.
    • On the second level some of the conversation portraits got stuck and John appeared to be behind some of the tiles.
    • The additional heart option in the atheneum was broken! ie you got a ton of hearts instead of one.
    • The sylladex numbers showed up temporarily at the start of the first level.
    • John's jumping or charging animations sometimes got stuck, and at times he slows down after using the windy thing. Fixed; instead, John will slide while charging.

also

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino View Post
    Just finished all the chapters. You did a really great job with this! Somehow, I didn't experience any bugs at all. The levels were very well designed and the physics worked fine for me. I loved the inventory system, but I would also love even more items.

You should definitely make more. I don't even care if it fits with canon.
    Thanks! Ahah I don't experience them either miraculously. I try too hard not to think about how long it will take me to fix things I discover are actually broken. I had also planned for more items like speed and jump powerups but they wouldn't work at all so..... maybe when I figure that out!

Anddd I definitely considered making more but honestly I don't even know what to do! I also slowly became averse to making levels because they usually end up being more work and time than they initially appeared so.... probably not ): If I had a lot of time and maybe some plot ideas I might consider though????
    Last edited by Mew; 12-18-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post
    Anddd I definitely considered making more but honestly I don't even know what to do! I also slowly became averse to making levels because they usually end up being more work and time than they initially appeared so.... probably not ): If I had a lot of time and maybe some plot ideas I might consider though????
    as for what to do... maybe a boss battle? I have no idea how that would fit in at all.
    or something with Vriska coming in and being your companion. like, who cares about canon, right? :P
    I used to be active but now exist only to lurk and occaisionally post on the pokemon thread.
    Feel free to check out the magic in the spoiler!

or something with Vriska coming in and being your companion. like, who cares about canon, right? :P
    Wouldn't that require some changes to the mechanics?
    I mean,
    Wouldn't that involve a luck manipulation mechanic?
    Which seems complicated?
    My ~ATH interpreter!:here (written in Python 2.7)
    That shipping exists bothers me.

as for what to do... maybe a boss battle? I have no idea how that would fit in at all.
    incidentally i had included a boss battle in an earlier version of the game! it was a salamander with three distinct phases in a predictable boss cycle. i took it out because it was just unintuitive and difficult--you had to throw barbasol at its fire blasts. for some people it was too hard to know that and others it was even harder trying to do it. boss battles are tough! especially since i can't really design the monster myself to hint at a weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by humbleElitist View Post
    Wouldn't that require some changes to the mechanics?
    I mean,
    Wouldn't that involve a luck manipulation mechanic?
    Which seems complicated?
    yeah........... haha don't mind a luck mechanic really ally npcs are another topic altogether........................
    Last edited by Mew; 01-02-2013 at 09:50 PM.

I enjoyed this. My only problem was that on replay, I kept Davesprite and my grist, and some dialogue wasn't repeated.
    Last edited by Kuyan J; 01-03-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Kind of nice. What language is it in?

O-6 AlternianOfficersDivision GiupZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zxeonz View Post
    I think a majority of the forum is in English, as in discussions and such. So the game is most likely in English?
    Not a bad question I suppose just kinda... strange to ask

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I think he rather obviously meant Coding Language there, Giup.

Also, noticed I haven't posted in this thread to say "This is really cool!" even though I played it like, when you first posted it. So..

This is really cool!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by GiupZen View Post
    I think a majority of the forum is in English, as in discussions and such. So the game is most likely in English?
    Not a bad question I suppose just kinda... strange to ask
    I'm pretty sure he was asking what programming language it was made in.
    Tumblr

O-6 AlternianOfficersDivision GiupZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mechajin View Post

Also, noticed I haven't posted in this thread to say "This is really cool!" even though I played it like, when you first posted it. So..

This is really cool!
    Oh woops, my bad... heehee

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

This is a really neat game, but I had to give up in level 2 when i couldn't figure out how I was supposed to make certain jumps, like the one when you jump up from the platform where you get taught how to use the breeze on pipes. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kuyan J View Post
    I enjoyed this. My only problem was that on replay, I kept Davesprite and my grist, and some dialogue wasn't repeated.
    that's interesting! i think part of the problem is that the games made with the program usually automatically store variables between sessions so if refreshing doesn't work, i'll look into a way to manually reset them at the beginning. hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by zxeonz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechajin View Post

This is really cool!
    thank you! actually english might be the closest answer haha because i used the gamemaker construct that you can click to add and manipulate events. here's kind of an example of a sheet:

Quote Originally Posted by Miff View Post
    This is a really neat game, but I had to give up in level 2 when i couldn't figure out how I was supposed to make certain jumps, like the one when you jump up from the platform where you get taught how to use the breeze on pipes. :/
    the tips above mention that you can double jump! i know it's not obvious i'll have to remember to add some kind of in-game hint if i get the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast