MSPA Forums
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

  1. #1
    Seer of Heart Posthumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    120

    HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Like many people here, I believe that Homestuck is important. I believe that it’s a story tailored for a generation that’s criminally misrepresented and underappreciated by the current intellectual elite. It uses our language and the standards of our culture. It paints online friendships as legitimate and video games as the basis for a creation mythos. I believe that, ten or twenty years, Homestuck will be analyzed by this same elite as one of the defining texts of millennial culture and metamedia storytelling, as the story that did this before it was cool, the story that made it cool.

    Let’s start here.

    Here’s a post I made on another thread a while ago:

    Hussie's primary narrative trick is distraction.

    He tends to introduce important plot points/reveal important information at the same time as memes or shipping fodder. This makes it so that 90% of the fandom will start freaking out about some shipping nonsense and overlook the important, story-crucial plot point. And when it does become relevant later on, it’s shocking and makes the story seem much more intricately planned out than it really is.

    For example, here’s some important stuff that we’ve learned this Intermission, but haven't actually discussed much: what Jujus are, that Kurloz has the Juju-destroying crowbar, the three approaches to taking out Lord English, Jake’s destiny as Hero of Hope, and that Callie is somewhere in the dreambubbles. And that's just what I can remember at the moment.

    It’s actually pretty easy to infer the general structure of what will happen from these clues. My pet theory at the moment is that the conspicuous stopped clock that Clubs Deuce spent a while looking at during the Felt intermission is tied to Lord English’s life force, and that the crowbar (a Juju that can destroy other Jujus) will be important in the endgame, when they try to destroy it. The Felt intermission was basically foreshadowing central. At some point they'll use Callie's name (which can call her out) to awaken her and shut out Caliborn, and all of the B2s except for Jake will probably permadie or otherwise be taken out (seemingly), fueling the Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.

    Hussie is a magician, not a chessmaster. Actually, he’s more like a magician trying to make himself seem like a chessmaster – someone who claims to have had all the pieces laid out from the beginning, but who actually works with distraction/slight of hand to manipulate the audience's expectations and achieve the desired result. His other big trick is unfurling perspective, as shown by the very localized beginning (some kid in his house) and slow panning out of the story to encompass four universes and dozens of characters, which each new group serving as a major revelation.

    Is there any thread here to discuss Hussie's narrative tricks/Homestuck's story structure? 'Cuz that would be interesting.
    So, discuss?
    Last edited by Posthumor; 10-24-2012 at 11:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Page of Hood Yayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Land of Wind and Skyscrapers (Chicago)
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Posthumor View Post
    He tends to introduce important plot points/reveal important information at the same time as memes or shipping fodder. This makes it so that 90% of the fandom will start freaking out about some shipping nonsense and overlook the important, story-crucial plot point. And when it does become relevant later on, it’s shocking and makes the story seem much more intricately planned out than it really is.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. He defiently does this, but whether for trolling or to look genius, it's hard to tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Posthumor View Post
    My pet theory at the moment is that the conspicuous stopped clock that Clubs Deuce spent a while looking at during the Felt intermission is tied to Lord English’s life force, and that the crowbar (a Juju that can destroy other Jujus) will be important in the endgame, when they try to destroy it. The Felt intermission was basically foreshadowing central. At some point they'll use Callie's name (which can call her out) to awaken her and shut out Caliborn, and all of the B2s except for Jake will probably permadie or otherwise be taken out (seemingly), fueling the Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.
    I like this. I may steal this.
    I used to be active but now exist only to lurk and occaisionally post on the pokemon thread.
    Although there is some fun stuff in here I guess:


  3. #3

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Posthumor View Post
    Like many people here, I believe that Homestuck is important. I believe that it’s a story tailored for a generation that’s criminally misrepresented and underappreciated by the current intellectual elite. It uses our language and the standards of our culture. It paints online friendships as legitimate and video games as the basis for a creation mythos. I believe that, ten or twenty years, Homestuck will be analyzed by this same elite as one of the defining texts of millennial culture and metamedia storytelling, as the story that did this before it was cool, the story that made it cool.

    Let’s start here.

    Here’s a post I made on another thread a while ago:



    So, discuss?
    Lets look at hussie's crappy ass practice for homestuck. Jailbreak/bardquest/Problem sleuth where fan adventures, or whatever the propper term is. As a result of that basic factor of their nature, their narative pacing and logic was fucked beyond repair. All of the peices added togeather at the cost of an internal logic which let just about anything happen. Given the nonsence nature he chose, hussy had plenty of room to bring the story to it's long delayed showdown conclution using the candy in the hat from the begining. This was on the third try, most likly the first actual attempt to finish a story. The other two stories never did any callbacks of that nature because there was no room for them. The candycorn, as I recall, was introduced during a character development session wherin hussy was temporarily in control. Largly, he delt with all the suggestions by creating a story where the players don't have to appear to be accomplishing anything. He also created puzzles which, while having no clear point, were both easy to solve by instinct and mostly irrelevant. Think of john's planet. Who cares about any of the mucking about he did on oil world? There were only a few important moments and at those times the "breeze" got involved, or vw and varisca stepped in. By this point in time hussy had assumed controll over these voices and they were able to direct john to relevant things rather then just direct him to whatever interesting and/or shiny puzzle and/or object hussy had baited the fans with. But the tendancies he developed in coping with a story run by an internet collective remained. In fact, he seems to be making fun of the very consept of a fanadventure. Just look at the bottom of the page. Every few pages a mock command apppears. The story maintains the nonsence of the last story, but manages to be much more consistant to it's inner logic by having less rules implemented. It is able to have less rules and exeptions because we aren't always pushing it off track. His basic trick, it seems to me, is pushing the important stuff into the little corners where he has most controll, which is out of the way of events. So, the story is almost irrelevant to the destinattion. Look at john's house while the metior is falling. Look at him fumble away all that time with all those gadgets and tubs. You know what would have been easyer? He could have started the game, and then entered the game world. But no, insead he fumbles about for awhile with no idea what he is doing and solves puzzles whick were made so that if you didn't walk away, you would run our of options and be forced to solve it.

  4. #4
    Seer of Heart Posthumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    120

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    So Hussie, used to crowdsourcing stories, has become adept at manipulating people into eventually doing what he wants? And to do this, he has to put the important things into places where they'd be easily overlooked, so people wouldn't try to derail them completely? They'd just eventually be forced to acknowledge them? That's an interesting explanation. The situation with Vriska and WV on LOWAS does seem like a commentary on the nature of fanadventures and how they almost try to actively ruin themselves. There seems to be a theme of characters versus story or players versus the game in Homestuck, where the characters are threatened - more than anything - by the story's machinations, and where they survive by outsmarting it. Time travel is essential to SBURB, and most players seem to go back in time to change mistakes they made. The story plays along, but grinds forward mercilessly, even though it's given them the tools to succeed.

    The convoluted process it takes to enter the medium stumped me at first. It seems to excessive and counterintuitive. It almost seems like parts of Homestuck are fighting against itself to come to a coherent conclusion, but the universe almost pushes itself to adopt a sort of order in a way that isn't really clear.

    I do wonder, though. Are we ever going to get an origin story for SBURB, or is Lord English going to be the big bad? Hussie cast some ambiguity on this a few updates ago with Vriska, when she brought up the possibility of some greater villain beyond Lord English. We still don't know the process that went into turning Caliborn into Lord English, or how exactly Lil' Cal fits into this. Could Caliborn/Lord English somehow be responsible for this whole convoluted system, for how SBURB came to be? I hope we get some answers in regards to this, and it would fit into the theme of self-creation and temporal resonance previously shown through the Paradox Clones, Becquerel, the Green Sun, etc. Right now it feels like stories propagate stories, and that that's where true power comes from in Homestuck.
    Last edited by Posthumor; 10-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.

  5. #5
    Madman In Training Hiromalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    64

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    I appreciate his dedication in turning jokes into (potentially) crucial plot points. I'm chiefly referring to the "What Pumpkin" gag and the somewhat recent revelation that Caliborn detests vegetables. I feel fairly certain pumpkins will play a role in defeat of Lord English, if only to make it appear as though the pumpkins had been more than a joke all along. Another good example is the call back to the remark "It [Colonel Sasacre's] could kill a cat if you dropped it."
    Overall, I think the pure magnitude and serial nature of Homestuck is what allows him to get away with this sort of thing.

  6. #6
    Suitor 2 Sodajerk's Confidante Krubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    416

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Another thing that's notable about his narrative style is the breaking down of the 4th wall. Even though from the start the story frequently alluded to itself being an MSPA, it still was mostly self-contained. Then Andrew appeared in it as just a simple self insert to give a small speech on the story and give a recap. Later on he would sometimes appear just to do some funny but insignificant stuff and talk about his power over the story. However, things changed as the physical and theoretical 4th wall in the story started to become plot relevant. Suddenly, Andrew is now an actual character. He breaks through the 4th wall and kills a major antagonist. Then, even later, he's shot dead by the other character who wants complete power. Finally, Vriska says this:

    VRISKA: Eventually the curtains get pulled 8ack, and you find out who was 8ehind every terri8le thing that happened all along. Someone who is invaria8ly stronger than all other adversaries 8y a wide margin. The supreme villain!

    In other words, the author. The one who made the decision for each character to die, and then made it happen. http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006185

    His entire series of silly self-inserts has been a subtle forcing in of a major character; a tension building up as he begins making major plot changes and rambling about how he can kill them all. Was he planning all this from the start? I think so.
    Classpects of the Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff SBURB session! :O

    Like Team Fortress 2? Like Homestuck? Check out my crossover fic!

  7. #7

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krubby View Post
    Another thing that's notable about his narrative style is the breaking down of the 4th wall. Even though from the start the story frequently alluded to itself being an MSPA, it still was mostly self-contained. Then Andrew appeared in it as just a simple self insert to give a small speech on the story and give a recap. Later on he would sometimes appear just to do some funny but insignificant stuff and talk about his power over the story. However, things changed as the physical and theoretical 4th wall in the story started to become plot relevant. Suddenly, Andrew is now an actual character. He breaks through the 4th wall and kills a major antagonist. Then, even later, he's shot dead by the other character who wants complete power. Finally, Vriska says this:

    VRISKA: Eventually the curtains get pulled 8ack, and you find out who was 8ehind every terri8le thing that happened all along. Someone who is invaria8ly stronger than all other adversaries 8y a wide margin. The supreme villain!

    In other words, the author. The one who made the decision for each character to die, and then made it happen. http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006185

    His entire series of silly self-inserts has been a subtle forcing in of a major character; a tension building up as he begins making major plot changes and rambling about how he can kill them all. Was he planning all this from the start? I think so.
    I also think so. It seems exactly like Hussie to build up a plot like that.

  8. #8
    Seer of Heart Posthumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    120

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    So you think Hussie could be the big bad? I'm not sure how to feel about that. It would be a grand statement, but it's a bit too on the nose - even for him.

  9. #9

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Posthumor View Post
    So you think Hussie could be the big bad? I'm not sure how to feel about that. It would be a grand statement, but it's a bit too on the nose - even for him.
    True as that may be, Hussie is known for his Weird Plot Shit. He's surprised me before.

  10. #10
    Suitor 2 Sodajerk's Confidante Krubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    416

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    I suppose some evidence to back this up is that when Scratch first appears, it's stated that "You can not be a guardian". This might be a rule that's being set down of what Andrew doesn't have power over, such as LE, Scratch and Bec. I dunno, it sounds about right. I'm going through every appearance of Andrew to see what could be convoluted foreshadowing.

    EDIT: Here we go, this could be useful. http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sbahj.php?s=6&p=005288. "You were so much better than that traitorous piece of shit Cal who betrayed me to join Hook. ". There are many characters that are similar to Hook, including LE. Cal is clearly of huge importance although it is yet unknown. It's interesting how, if I'm correct, the most ridiculous moment in ALL of Homestuck could be a major revelation towards the future.
    Last edited by Krubby; 10-24-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    Classpects of the Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff SBURB session! :O

    Like Team Fortress 2? Like Homestuck? Check out my crossover fic!

  11. #11

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krubby View Post
    I suppose some evidence to back this up is that when Scratch first appears, it's stated that "You can not be a guardian". This might be a rule that's being set down of what Andrew doesn't have power over, such as LE, Scratch and Bec. I dunno, it sounds about right. I'm going through every appearance of Andrew to see what could be convoluted foreshadowing.
    I think I might join you in that and run a little analysis myself. It should be fun to try to uncover things like that.

  12. #12
    Gent of Vris KevinHilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Area 11
    Posts
    423

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krubby View Post
    There are many characters that are similar to Hook, including LE. Cal is clearly of huge importance although it is yet unknown. It's interesting how, if I'm correct, the most ridiculous moment in ALL of Homestuck could be a major revelation towards the future.
    Cal's revelation will play a pivotal role in the story's climax. I know Hussie's implied himself Gamzee is the most important character, but I personally think this title is better suited for Cal.
    HUSSIE vs. NORTH and HUSSIEQUEST are these videos I made. You can watch them if you'd like.

  13. #13
    Madman In Training Hiromalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    64

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Gamzee was holding Cal when Hussie declared him the most important character. Who's to say Cal wasn't looking out of that cloud as well?

  14. #14
    Super High-School Level Poster Sporkaganza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    2,910

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Since this is the "I see what you did there" thread, I'd like to talk about my favorite moment of narrative misdirection by Andrew Hussie:

    CG: OH GOD.
    EB: well?
    CG: JOHN, I CAN'T HANDLE TALKING ABOUT IT, OK.
    CG: I JUST GOT DONE
    CG: UH
    CG: DEALING WITH GAMZEE
    CG: AND I'M FEELING PRETTY EMOTIONAL ABOUT IT. SO PLEASE, NO.
    EB: who is gamzee?
    CG: HE WAS MY BEST FRIEND.
    EB: really? i thought terezi was your best friend.
    EB: or wait, maybe she was your girlfriend, i forget...
    CG: MY THINK PAN, IT HURTS
    CG: IT IS PRESENTLY THREATENING TO MAKE ME ITS BITCH, JOHN. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?
    CG: DO YOU WANT YOUR COOL ALIEN PAL TO BECOME THE BITCH OF A RAW, THROBBING THINK PAN?????
    CG: SUCH IS THE SCENARIO BEFORE US.
    EB: sorry, i don't mean to be nosy. i just want to know some things about your situation!
    EB: i am concerned.
    CG: GAMZEE WAS MY VERY GOOD FRIEND, WHO WAS THIS GOOFY LOVEABLE BULLSHIT CLOWN UNTIL HE WENT PSYCHO AND KILLED SOME PEOPLE. I LIKED HIM A LOT.
    CG: I DON'T KNOW, I GUESS MY BEST FRIEND IS REALLY JUST THE GUY WHO I HAPPEN TO BE FEELING MOST SENTIMENTAL TO AT THE MOMENT, IS THAT A FUCKING CRIME.
    EB: heh, no.
    EB: i think i know how you feel.
    EB: so he killed some people... and then what?
    CG: SO THEN I
    EB: it's ok, you can tell me.
    CG: JOHN, TRUST ME. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.
    CG: IT'S JUST A TROLL THING, HUMANS WOULDN'T GET IT.
    CG: YOU MIGHT THINK I WAS A SHIT HEAD, AND I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT NOW ON TOP OF EVERYTHING, SO LET'S DROP IT.
    EB: hmm.
    EB: ok, if you say so.
    Karkat says that he finished "dealing" with Gamzee, which readers assume meant killing him based on what we've seen at this point in the story. He also says that Gamzee "was" his best friend, which at the time seemed to further corroborate that evidence. He calls what he did to Gamzee a "troll thing", and says he's worried that John "might think [he] was a shit head", which also kind of sounds like killing him, since it's been established in John's conversation with Vriska that trolls feel differently about killing than humans do.

    But of course, the true reason was that he shooshpapped Gamzee. Gamzee wasn't his best friend anymore because he was now Karkat's moirail! Which adds a whole new sense of hilarity to Karkat saying he's "feeling pretty emotional about it" - it's one thing to be upset after having to kill your own friend, and quite another to be feeling emotional about a shooshpapping. It just makes me laugh imagining Karkat crying or whatever because he got a quadrant filled. And it actually makes more sense for him to call it a "troll thing" if he's talking about an entire quadrant alien to humans. And he's worried that John would just be like "quadrants are dumb and you're dumb".

    I like it because it's very clearly intended to make readers think one thing before we saw what happened in the 5x showdown combo, but it's also extremely obvious after the fact what it really meant. And it kind of becomes all that much better when you know the real context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iguana Baritone View Post
    Homestuck is just Dragon Ball written by Douglas Adams.

  15. #15

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    So, today I heard a radio program that mentioned the idea of hallucinations in normal, sane, people. One of the types of hallucinations they mentioned was one in which the perceiver notices that there are two copies of himself. It was said that one botanist was in a garden and he was next to himself, picking plants. Another teacher walked into a classroom and they saw themselves already teaching while the students listened. In these situations, the perceiver of the extra copy of themselves sometimes mirror themselves perfectly, specifically in the way of facial expression. I remember something I read in a neurobiology book that said that people hold a perfect image of their own facial expressions in their head so that we may better feel empathy. We determine how we are feeling, in part by reading our copy of our facial image. When we try to read someone else’s face, we do something close to that where we read the image of their face into the part of our brain which has been connecting our own face to our emotions for all our lives. The one perceiving the doppelganger often comes to a point where they cannot tell which copy of themselves is the real one and which one is the doppelganger.

    The connection to homestuck, of course, is the dreamself, which is effectively an extra life, as one character said. Another, or maybe the same idk, character said that that real point of homestuck was to see how many qualifiers we could put on the word “self” and still know what we are talking about. Rose said that the apple was a basic unit of knowledge which should never be split. This is clearly a reference to john’s biting of the apple, which kicked off the entire adventure. He was given an apple and forced to bite it, which began the story, the activity, the motion, if you will. He split the basic unit of information and was suddenly thrust into a world where the “self” is a word which needs quotation marks. He split the basic unit of information and the shards of the solidity of life, physics, and identity exploded out like the juice that regularly sprays out a little and clings to everything. Suddenly, he wasn’t in the real world. He was in a fake world where the majority of living things where cut from the same template, as though the process that manufactured them had been suddenly altered and was now missing something. Carpasians, imps, the midnight crew, the royalty, and whatever the salamanders are called, are all cut from the same cloth, printed and reprinted over and over again in timeline after timeline in universe after universe. The birth cycle of the person who broke the apple was shown to be paradoxical, a twist at the time. All the people who interacted with him are sucked into this new world with him, as the only people who he would know to bring with him if given the chance. Self, blood, and mind are now basic forces of the universe which are free for reorganization. Giants and hero’s are assigned aspects and given options which affect the shape that these aspects will take in the future, in the new universe, as the universe tries to put the pieces of itself back together. This is why the trolls didn’t talk to their monsters and why karkat couldn’t even here his, as he would have made it his own. They are from before the beginning, they exist in a time before the definitions of the universe were set as undefined. You might even say that, in john’s time, the basic forces of the universe were slaughtered, all except breath which is all too alive, and the trolls were just acting that out.

    Identity is not solid. Time is not solid. Space is not solid. Void, the lack of fact, is also not solid. Rage, emotion and ignorance, no longer has a solid meaning. Doom, Light, Hope, Life, Space, Interaction, logic, and narrative no longer have a solid meaning because something which they once stood on is gone. True fact has been destroyed. Thus, there is no direction, no identity, no logical conclusions other then the splitting of the universe into all “real” options.

    This is the world of the fanventure, but that is too shallow. The fanventure came from somewhere, and it is a symbol in and of itself. Notice how the story is quickening with every chapter. Information spewing out at a faster and faster pace, three years nearly skipped by at the speed of light. Like the universe is getting more efficient at unloading information. Like it is working its way into a well oiled calculation machine of the type it should be and too it’s eventual equilibrium. All this is too convoluted for hussy to have realized exactly what the fuck he was doing and why he was doing it, but he doesn’t necessarily have too. Homestuck is the story of chaos. It is a story of infinite stories. It is an analysis of upheaval in it’s densest form. For when a story begins, there must be events. So with the story, comes the conflict. With the beginning, come the end.

    I see two endings too homestuck which are almost perfectly on the nose.

    Ending one:
    John is among the final survivors. He has only what he really wants. We don’t even get to see who is with him, but he talks to himself, or maybe them, we don’t know. He may be alone. The door appears on a platform. This picture set is in awful-style. He flies onto the platform, also in awful style. He has his chat logs while looking over his shoulder. The pictures get worse over time. He then reaches for the door. An absolutely horrendous, bur readable, “what now?” appears on the screen, bumping up and down slightly. It is white on black. The next page is black with white letter, perfectly solid and clear. It is Arial or times new roman. It says, “What do you want to happen?” You may click the next button, you may not. You may think of what you want to be on the other side of the door, you may just want the little lights on the screen to inform you. However, the arrow just sends you to the same page. If you move the address to the next picture in the http bar, you see the same thing on that page. The answer to the question “what is on the next page?” is equal to “what do you want to happen?”
    Unless you actualy click it

    Other ending:
    Eventually, dirk finds his monster of self, or identity, or identification/abstraction. He is given his test. As ever, the prince destroys his aspect. He is given his decision, and he chooses wrong. Everyone else manages to finish or nearly finish their stories, respectively. All the action slows down. The universe reaches it’s eventual conclusion. It’s conclusion is simple. It reaches equilibrium the same way a freshly hatched chick in winter alone reaches homeostasis. Everything ends, slowly. There is no life, no atom, no all encompassing void. There is no motion, no matter, and no lack because there is no canvas on which they are written. How this is done, I do not know. I suspect it is the result of the frog in calliborn’s universe, being as that is the universe in which “self” is most damaged. This would place the cherubverse after b2, which would now make sense, as the result of the damage of the building blocks of the universe have been echoing throughout all of existence. Breath and narrative are strife, and they have commited suiside, ending the stress implisit in their existance.

    "Post quick reply"
    Last edited by d2r123; 11-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.

  16. #16
    Knight of Space/Thane of Fold BlackholePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Land of Distortion and Frogs
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    1,785

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Hussie is a magician, not a chessmaster. Actually, he’s more like a magician trying to make himself seem like a chessmaster – someone who claims to have had all the pieces laid out from the beginning, but who actually works with distraction/slight of hand to manipulate the audience's expectations and achieve the desired result.
    While I know what you mean, I'm not sure I like the phrasing of this. It sort of sounds like likening Hussie's narrative and the nature of the story we all love to a cheap trick.

    I think that Hussie, while indeed inventing some aspects on the fly, has had a lot of this story planned out, many parts from further back than we think. I would equate him to a chessmaster - one who is not afraid to modify his tactics and gameplay to respond to and further ensure the confusion and defeat of his opponent, as he sees fit - while still following his overall gameplan. This opposed to sticking entirely to tried and tested tactics, even if these be his own.

    Also he cannot be a magician because magic is fake as shit.

  17. #17

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007304
    This is a confessional
    I.S.W.Y.D.T.H.
    ^this is now the phrase we are to use when congragulating ourselves on this thread.
    And dave was representing the voice in hussie's head which was telling him that no one want's to hear him talk about theoretical storytelling/story theory.
    Last edited by d2r123; 11-09-2012 at 05:50 PM.

  18. #18
    saddestsad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Pronouns
    [other] (see signature)
    Posts
    9,936

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackholePA View Post
    Also he cannot be a magician because magic is fake as shit.
    Homestuck is fiction.

  19. #19
    donuts741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    3,415

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAipom View Post
    Homestuck is fiction.
    What? Homestuck is totally real!

  20. #20

    Re: HUSSIE, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE: The Homestuck Narrative Analysis Thread

    Hey, guyes! Fiction is fake!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •