MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: TrollCops 2.0: Less Shouty Edition

Ignoramus Extraordinaire MindMessiah's Avatar

TrollCops 2.0: Less Shouty Edition

(NOTE: This thread is living in the main Artbound thread for a number of reasons - partly to generate a bit more traffic, partly because this is a hub for fanfic, fanart and fanmusic, all of which have threads that live here, and partly because some other AUs such as VictoriaBent and MMORPGStuck have made their homes here too. If this does need to be moved, let me know and I'll make sure it gets to where it needs to go.)

TROLLCOPS: THE AU
    VERSION 2.0: THE REVENGENING

Alright, let's get this shit started. TrollCops is an Alternate Universe which takes the characters we all know and love from Homestuck and puts them into a cops vs. criminals setting. If this sounds vague, that's because the definition of TrollCops is very vague. There is no one "established" canon, and pretty much anything goes so long as it revolves around the theme of crime and people fighting it. Any contributions are welcome - writing, art, music, image manipulation, and anything else you can think of. If you think you've got anything, or just want to come along and talk about the setting, then feel free to come in and post. The ACPD needs members, and we're always recruiting. Lurkers need lurk no more.

All credit for the TrollCops setting goes to Deeum, and credit for each individual work goes to its respective author.

So, here's the "standard" roles for the TrollCops characters so far:

Law Enforcement
    Officer Sollux
    Officer Terezi
    Officer Vriska
    Officer Equius
    Officer Aradia
    Private Investigator Eridan

Citizens
    Doctor Kanaya
    Mayor's Secretary/Orphanage Runner Feferi
    Mayor WV
    Crazy Vagrant Andrew Hussie

Criminals
    Karkat
    Nepeta/The Catburglar
    Gamzee
    Tavros/The Pupa

Gangs/Organisations
    Strider Mafia
    Midnight Crew
    The Felt
    Mobster Kingpin's Mob
    Secret Wizards
    S.E.E.R.

Superheroes and Vigilantes
    Seppucrow (Bro)
    Crowbro (Dave)
    Egbertman (John)
    Iron Lass (Jade)
    The Culler (Feferi)

By no means do you have to stick to this in your own story. The canon of TrollCops is incredibly flexible, and changes from the default setting are not only allowed but encouraged. If you have any ideas that differ from what's listed here, post them anyway! Everybody's welcome here in Alternia City.

Due to the fact that this AU went dead for a long time, a lot of updates in canon have yet to reflect on the default TrollCops story. If you have any suggestions for how to implement these, then post them below.

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the dated status of this AU, some of the links in the original index went dead. I've only included the ones that were still functioning, as well as those submitted after the front page stopped updating. If I've missed anything, let me know.

-----

INDEX PART 1 - LAND OF ART AND PICTURES

THE BIOS: (made by Lakobe, Kayak and cyclicCircumferentia)
    Law Enforcement

Criminals

Citizens

Superheroes and Vigilantes

THE ART:

-----
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 10-11-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    This signature is currently down for maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Re: TROLLCOPS 2.0: THE REVENGENING

-----

INDEX PART 2 - LAND OF WORDS AND MUSIC

THE FAN FICTIONS

THE MUSIC:

THE RP COMMUNITY:
    Run by jellinScyphozoa
    http://trollcopsau-rpda.deviantart.com/
    Please note that the RP community is currently on hiatus.

THE RP LOGS:

THE TV TROPES PAGE:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanFic/TrollCops
    -----
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 09-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    This signature is currently down for maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

TROLLCOPS: THE TV SERIES

Back in the grim, dark ages that were the beginnings of this AU, frostedWarlock and friends in the RP community decided it would be fun to invent TrollCops episode names and title cards as though it were a real show. Here are their orignal ideas, alongside supplemental episodes and snarky commentary from myself (MindMessiah), Ra Zarudo, and anybody else from the original thread that I might have forgotten.

Season 1 - Meet The Team
    The pilot series of TrollCops, and the suprise sleeper hit that blew both audiences and critics alike off their feet. It was an acclaimed success, winning several awards and spawning a wide variety of spin-off merchandise. The first series was noticably much lighter-hearted than those following it, focusing on a series of one-off and mostly comedic episodes rather than the overarching plots of other series.

Pupa Pandora

Spider Games

Monoculler

Ace of Space

Red Vs Blue

Until Morale Improves

ghostlyTrickster

Cheating Crow

Strider Games

Dead-Eye

Con Heir

Black and Blue

Clueless

Season 2 - Felt Overcoat
    Series number two of TrollCops focused mostly on the antics of the Felt, the mysterious gang of villains introduced in the first series that proved remarkably popular with viewers. Despite this obvious audience appeal, TrollCops started losing viewers, mostly due to competing with shows such as Homestuck: The Anime. In additon, contention between the writers and publishers led to legal issues that would split the franchise between multiple networks.

Shark Week

Jade Dragon

Wakey Wakey Eggs and Bakey - Space Lass, EgbertMan, and SeppuCrow all had to pull three all-nighters in a row in an attempt to capture the elusive Mindfang, and on the fourth day they must somehow find a way to deal with the preposturous amount of Eggs and Biscuits timecloning all over the city.

As Luck Would Have It

Strident Passions

Paradox Panic

Sellout

As Luck Won't Have It

Calling Shots - As the various forces of the city race against each other to capture or kill the Felt, we learn more about their reasons for doing so.

Irons in the Fire

Season 3 - The Lazaro Saga
    With the series divided across multiple networks - and MSPA Studios still holding the rights to both due to a mobius double technicality reacharound, the third seasons of Troll!Cops took two sharply differing directions in terms of writing and plot. This difference was mainly due to a massive falling out between Carlos Lazaro and the rest of the writing team, although both series would be directed by the same group.

Season 3A introduced Erigami, a masked supervillain with a sharp resemblance to Detective Eridan Ampora, who mysteriously "got better" following his apparent suicide in Irons in the Fire. 3A would try to balance the plot with a more light-hearted direction focusing on individual character development, which it did to a more approving reaction than the later episodes of Season 2.

Season 3B of TrollCops took a darker turn after the studio kept writer Carlos Lazaro to form a new writing "B-team" and provide a new storyline involving Bec Noir - the even-more-murderous alter ego of Spades Slick. Running for nine episodes, Season 3 drew both surprised praise and extreme derision from both fans and critics alike due to its increased violence and borderline-grimdark plot.

Each season's finale episode - "Gaius Futilus" and "Dogs of Noir" - would both earn Emmy nominations for Outstanding Animated Series, ultimately losing to the "Cascade" episode of the original Homestuck the Anime series.

Despite better reviews by critics, the series' bifurcation ultimately proved to be its swan song as the decision to air on two different networks carved its viewership in half. MSPAS sacked both writing teams, even filing a cease-and-desist order against Lazaro following the Crabface OVA controversy. After an abortive attempt to restart the series with the critically panned Troll!Cops Superkids, MSPAS shut down its Troll!Cops studio and focused entirely on Homestuck: The Anime's sixth season.

Troll!Cops' rights were picked up by 413 Studios, who plan to release a new season in 2013 following Homestuck: The Anime's conclusion.

Season 3A - Erigami Spin-Off Series
    After the well-documented court case Lazaro v MSPA Studios, former writer Carlos Lozaro won the rights to the show and produced an eight-episode spin-off series with a much darker tone. Critics praised the new direction for the show, but the grimmer plotlines with increased continuity failed to draw back the dwindling audience and Lazaro was eventually forced to negotiate a new contract with MSPA Studios in order to remain solvent.

Knowwing

Cheated Crow

Humpty Dumpty

Pupa Planned

Tryumvvirate

Answwers

Detec/tivve

Gaius Futilus

Season 3B - Black Noir
    Season 3B of TrollCops saw the series take a darker turn after the creators brought on an acclaimed noir comics writer, George Parichino, to head the writing team provide a new storyline involving Bec Noir. Running for nine episodes, Season 3B drew both surprised praise and extreme derision from both fans and critics alike with "Dogs of Noir" earning an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Animated Series. Parichino was abruptly sacked following the nomination, and his remains were found buried near a construction site.

You Don't Know Slick

The Stabbing

He Stalked By Night

One Flew Into The Doghouse

April The Thirteenth

Jade Heat

A Few Good Dersites

Dogs of Noir

The Green Miles

"Crabface" Original Video Animation
    The Troll!Cops "Crabface" OVA was a series of four non-canon episodes with a new story penned by Carlos Lazaro. Focusing on the street gang, the OVA became infamous for its detailed graphic content and gratuitous profanity - even by the standards viewers were used to for Karkat's frequently expletive-laden dialogue. Despite being released unrated, the Crabface OVA was quickly pulled from shelves after a barrage of complaints from decency groups, and remains a sought-after collector's item for fans of the series.

Engage Criminal Mode - When a friend of Gamzee's shows Karkat a way into the city's illegal sopor trade, Karkat seizes the opportunity to make some easy money...but at what cost? And why is Officer Terezi suddenly having terribad, nightmarish visions?

[CG]: Ascend - Fearing the Carcino Gang becoming too good as his 'employees', Mr. Pupa tries to have them killed, Karkat is offered assistance from a mysterious new supplier, and Terezi and Sollux have to cope with the bodycount.

carcinoGangster - Karkat, Nepeta and Gamzee are on top of the world and living large. But cracks appear in the gilded mask when Karkat also starts getting high on his own supply - and the PD decides to turn up the heat.

[CG]: Descend - With the law and the entire Strider Mafia bearing down, the Carcino Gang turn on each other and Karkat is forced to pick between his empire and doing something he cannot bring himself to do. Can Officer Terezi Pyrope give him a way out before he takes the entire city with him?

Troll!Cops Superkids: The Spinoff Series
    Since the darker tone of Series 3 and 4 failed to bring back audiences, the creators of TrollCops decided to produce a spin-off series in an attempt to return to the more comedic Season 1. However, the absence of the original cast and writing team coupled with the jarring tone shifts caused it to be almost universally panned, and only two episodes were ever released.

Unveiling - Being locked up hasn't stopped Mr. Pupa from being a criminal mastermind. So when he seizes control of the Veil and threatens to unleash havoc upon Alternia City, it's up to The Breeze to break into jail and stop him. And in order to break into the Veil, he'll have to get help from the only person ever to break out: Hass Harley.
    Tagline: "Back when I was in the Veil, I was the big man. Hass the Rock, they called me."

The Long Four-Thirteen - On the eve of the anniversary of Alternia City's founding, the Midnight Crew find themselves poised to take the throne as the city's most powerful gang...and SeppuCrow himself is determined to stop it with his allies Commissioner AR and Officers Sollux and Terezi. But in the mere span of twelve hours: 6:12 pm to 6:12 am, their war on crime will change all of their lives. All of them. And not always for the better.
    Tagline: "I've given my life, my lisp and b0th my eyes and pers0nalities t0 protecting this city...but the 0nly thing I've learned is that the 0nly thing y0u can c0unt 0n...is CH4NC3."

Unaired Episodes
    Over the course of TrollCops' rather lenghty run, several episodes were written, produced and filmed without ever being aired on TV. The reasons for this varied from episode to episode - copyright issues, negative response from test audiences, premature season cancellation - but all of them were eventually leaked to the public.

Three Green Torsos

carcinoGangster

Bl99d and Sym69l - Sollux and Terezi start digging into the Order of the Sufferer...and suddenly find themselves twice targeted: not just from the Order and their mysterious assassin, but also from a police investigation. Leads to massive Dan Brown shenanigans.

Handmaid In Alternia - Aradia has been rebuilt as a crimefighting robot as a shining example of the city's finest. So why is Mayor Crocker doing everything in her power to stop her?

Cat Scratch F33ver - The SeppuCrow has always relied on a dizzying array of gadgets and technology to keep the sick fires of justice burning. But he may soon have a new rival - whose feral instincts send all his technological ingenuity down the stairs.

Special Delivery - WV's battle against a mysterious serial killer has attracted the attention of our investigative duo. But all the trails seem to lead back to Postmaster Penelope Mendez.
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 09-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Now then, since I need to get this thread started somehow, here's a little thing I wrote called Beat Cop, providing an alternative origin story for Karkat. I didn't like it much when I wrote it, and in fact I said some very mean things about it. But now that I have the advantage of hindsight, I think I like it more than I did previously.

Beat Cop, Chapter 1

Beat Cop, Chapter 2

Beat Cop, Chapter 3

Author's Notes
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 08-27-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: BL4R HTML T4GS

Witty Title Here awfulAlliteration's Avatar

Okay, I was actually quite fond of Beat Cop, honestly. And ohmygodyouguyshavesomuchcontent. How can a single mortal read it all?

Regardless, this seems like something I would be interested in joining. You guys take fanarts, yeh?
    U4G Adventure: SPETS

Quote Originally Posted by awfulAlliteration View Post
    Okay, I was actually quite fond of Beat Cop, honestly. And ohmygodyouguyshavesomuchcontent. How can a single mortal read it all?

Regardless, this seems like something I would be interested in joining. You guys take fanarts, yeh?
    To address those queries in no particular order, yes, we take content of any type, I have a tendency to be rabidly self-deprecating and back in its hayday this thread could pass an entire page in but a day - hence the index being split into two separate posts. Also, have a pre-emptive welcome aboard! We need every poster we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by MindMessiah View Post
    To address those queries in no particular order, yes, we take content of any type, I have a tendency to be rabidly self-deprecating and back in its hayday this thread could pass an entire page in but a day - hence the index being split into two separate posts. Also, have a pre-emptive welcome aboard! We need every poster we can get.
    Huzzah! May this renovating of the ACPD be fruitful!

too many VOULS and CONKSONANTS zebtrestalala's Avatar

Good to see this thread is back in action. Man, I miss the good old days where TrollCops was a lively little thread where every day there were like 3 new fics on the page (this is an overexxageration). I may have to drudge up one of my old fics and work on it again...

I like that fic, and yay new thread

I have a Tumblr, Nuff said

Egbert Man, Egbert Man,
    Does whatever an Egbert can
    Windy things
    While we sing
    Look out for Egbert Maaaaaaaan

Quote Originally Posted by awfulAlliteration View Post
    Egbert Man, Egbert Man,
    Does whatever an Egbert can
    Windy things
    While we sing
    Look out for Egbert Maaaaaaaan

Ha, that's awesome. I've stuck that up in the index, so congratulations on being the first person in the new thread to post something. Well, aside from me, but I had my first fic pre-written and posted five minutes after the thread went up.

So, a couple of days ago I promised that I would bring you a new fic that was better than Beat Cop, and I've made good on at least one of those two promises.

Okay, I'll cut the self-deprecatory shit from here on out.

Dead Man's Shoes

Author's Notes
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 08-23-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Alright, I hate to double post, but this thing needs a good bunp. Plus, I've got another fic ready to go, called Heireditary! (Get it? It's a pun! Because hereditary, and John's a heir, and... nobody? Okay.)

Heireditary

Author's Notes

I don't know if my negativity was putting people off, so I might go back and edit the Beat Cop post to make it slightly less venomous. Other than that, I'll be back with yet another fic either tomorrow or on Monday.

incredible Username Unclever title's Avatar
    In one place per continually changing instant of time.

For what it's worth, I've quite enjoyed reading Beat Cop, Dead Man's Shoes and Heireditary. I've always found the world building fics entertaining.
    Last edited by Unclever title; 08-25-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary View Post
    It's gonna kick ass though. Unless it's a crummy pacifism-type thing. Then it will calmly and diplomatically approach those offending rumps and deal with them in a civilized fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclever title View Post
    For what it's worth, I've quite enjoyed reading Beat Cop, Dead Man's Shoes and Heireditary. I've always found the world building fics entertaining.
    Awesome! Glad to know I'm not just talking to myself here. All the worldbuilding stuff is mostly for the purposes of expanding on my own headcanon without having to just explain it - once I've got enough of Alternia City fleshed out, then I can start tearing it to pieces.

EDIT: Instead of double-posting this time, I'm just going to leave my next fic here. Titled In Memoriam, it's essentially a John origin story, which is impressive since it doesn't actually explain his origins.

In Memoriam

Author's Notes

And that'll be all from me from the next few days. If you've got anything you want to contribute, anything at all, then go ahead!
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 08-26-2012 at 01:12 PM.

how have i not seen this!?

Duuudes. Sorry I haven't shown to offer comments or anything. I've been busy working on my BIG 413 POST. But I shall now gleefully read your thinguses and possibly post something myself. Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyJester View Post
    how have i not seen this!?
    It's understandable, really. This whole thing went dead for about a year and a half, and it was secreted away in the Group Art Projects subforum. I thought this was a sad fate for such an awesome idea, and performed my necromantic magics to bring it back into the public eye. And by the public eye, I mean the 200 or so viewers it's had so far.

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd by AA. Can't wait to see what you've got for us!

And yet another doublepost to bring you yet another fic! Sorry this one's so short. It's partly because I've got writer's block at the moment, and partly because I'm working on a megapost for the main fanfiction forum. The fic's called Regret, and it's the first time I've ever written anything from Vriska's POV.

Regret

Author's Notes

While I'm here, I might as well make an embarrassing little confession here - I've never actually read through the full index of TrollCops, despite setting the bloody thing up. Mostly I just copied the link addresses wherever they were written down and just stuck them on the front page. I never even read through Wigmund's stuff, even though that basically became the default TrollCops canon. Suffering from a little bit of writer's block today, I went and took an archive binge - only to discover that when I wrote Dead Man's Shoes, I was unknowingly copying the plot of Wigmund's Take It All In Stride. Pretty much verbatim. So I'd like to apologise for that minor gaffe. I'll bone up on other people's stories and hopefully do more original stuff in the future (he says, as he posts about something that's been covered a million times before).
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 08-28-2012 at 03:34 PM.

So I had a fic made but couldn't remember the districts of Alternia City for naming appropriate locations. Rather than invent new ones I did a little Archive diving in the old TrollCops thread and finally found Wigmund's map post which contains not only the map but also names and descriptions of the districts. Quoting here for easy reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigmund View Post
    Improved the map.
    And so, without further ado, two fics with an intermission between them.

Strider Stalker

All that's Missing is a Sparkly Transformation Sequence

I figure at this point you probably get the idea, but just in case you couldn't resist reading these words before the above two spoiler'd sections the title to the next one is in the spoiler tag.

Author Notes:
    Last edited by Unclever title; 08-31-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Text coloring error.
    It's gonna kick ass though. Unless it's a crummy pacifism-type thing. Then it will calmly and diplomatically approach those offending rumps and deal with them in a civilized fashion.

HEY GUYS I MADE A THING

SPECIFICALLY TWO THINGS

ENJOY

Family History, Part One

Family History, Part Two

Author's Note

Oh also I liked all the things you guys wrote. Dave is awesome. Dirk is awesome. Dave+Dirk=SUPERAWESOME

Also the thing about John was sad and good at the same time.

Also I liked the thing about Vriska.

Also I say also too much.

ERMAHGERD

YOU EVEN INCLUDED ALL THE EPISODES (although the writer of season 3 clearly wasn't its villain >_> ))

I JUST

;-;

I AM TOTALLY GOING TO READ YOUR SHIT WHEN I GET UP IN THE MORNING.

In the meantime, thinking up stuff trying to get Calliope and Caliborn!LE into the canon:

EDIT: Also because it's 3AM and I've lost control of my life, have this thing that I upgraded from the previous thread:
    Last edited by Ra Zarudo; 08-31-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Seriously, you guys. I leave for three days and you've already started pumping out several litres of concentrated awesome. And you've been incorporating the Alphas into this in ways that are actually imaginative and creative. Gog, with all the awesome ancestor stuff here and the latest update, I feel rather bad about neglecting those guys. Keep it up, and I'll keep it all index'd. Sorry I wasn't able to pass comment on these earlier, but I was kind of flooding the thread with my stuff.

Anyway, I'm currently drawing a blank when it comes to material. Stupid writer's block. I suppose the least I can do while I'm here is provide you with a bit of feedback and some answers to queries.

@Unclever title: Wow. I would never have thought of something like that. And you managed to pull off the "sibling" rivalry really, really well. All this Dave/Dirk stuff is shaping up to look pretty damn good.

@awfulAlliteration: Looking good so far! Fleshing out Alternia City itself is something we haven't had much of, though that likely has to do with the fact that most of the stuff around here was done before alphas or ancestors were a thing.

@Ra Zarudo: Yeah man. If I have to copy a thread word-for-word, right down to using the exact same formatting style because I'm too lazy to think of a proper way to present it, then I do it right. And yes, "Erigami v TrollCops" does look a little peculiar, but I couldn't be bothered to come up with a studio name and I probably wouldn't do it justice anyway. Oh, and I must be the only person in this thread who can't figure out how to utilise the alphas properly.
    Last edited by MindMessiah; 08-31-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Who else thinks Kankri should run against the Mayor in the next election. That guy would make one slick politician.

I'm torn between that and him be Troll Mr. Rogers. Because that sweater. That darn sweater. He'd be all about telling kids about the wonders of imagination and that each and every one of them is special, just as uniquely special as everyone else. So always remember to check your many respective privileges before you start thinking yourself more special than your friends at school.

Though thinking about the politics angle I'm imagining him being the kind of guy at town hall meetings with a huge laundry list of complaints and grievances about city ordinances, community inequalities, etc both real and imagined.

Screw it, he's all of those things. All of them.

Kankri vs. Meenah (or Condesce?) for mayor.

Meenah would not only have the Crocker fortune (or be disinherited from it, trying to get it back?) but also leverage Karkat as blackmail.

Meanwhile Kankri would be all "shoosh" at Karkat being all "DAD WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN SINCE I WAS A WRIGGLER? I ACTUALLY ATTEMPTED TO GIVE A DOUBLE-DIGIT FRACTION OF A FLYING FUCK ABOUT JUSTICE IN THIS CITY AND I ENDED UP KILLING A COP, GETTING KICKED OFF THE FORCE AND BECOMING A MIDNIGHT CREW ENFORCER. WHY WEREN'T YOU THERE!?"

EDIT: Also, a little bonus for the folder files...
    Last edited by Ra Zarudo; 09-01-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast