MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puzzlestuck: A Sburb Text Adventure (play it today!)

Puzzlestuck: A Sburb Text Adventure (play it today!)

welcome to puzzlestuck! puzzlestuck is a text adventure set during an original sburb session. it's not the whole session (although I'm currently brainstorming how I would approach different parts of it! alchemy: done. sidequests: easy! but the whole first bit with building houses, hmm...), it's just a tiny segment from near the end, but it's still a solid 1-2 hours of playtime with a whole ton of stuff to find, and cool places to explore (there are even a few ~secrets~ to discover! good luck finding them)

if you want to give it a play, but you're not super familiar with text adventures, I'd recommend checking out THIS FILE first, as it has a whole bunch of basic commands and useful gameplay tips. I'd also suggest using the HELP command at the start, to get an idea of the specific actions you can do in puzzlestuck (although I'll give you a hint, mostly they are just "BE Y" and "CONTACT Y"). alsooo, if you can see a cursor, but not a name preceding it (eg, in typical homestuck fashion, "ROSE > "), you're in a non-interactive cutscene. press any key to advance it!

the download link for Puzzlestuck is HERE. once you've extracted it, you should just be able to double click the .exe to run it. if you run into any dramas (like, for instance, I'm not sure if this will work for mac/linux users?), just let me know. ooor you can go track down a glulxe interpreter for your computer yourself :3 it's pretty easy! the game also comes with a few fun extras like the character concepts and the scenery artwork that's used in-game.

anyway, have a play, and let me know what you think! would you play a longer game about these kids? a whole session game of this would be a lot of work, so I'd like to know if I'm the only one who's likely to play it haha (in which case I'll skip the work and just daydream about the kids and their adventures instead). also, I'd super appreciate it if you kept anything spoilery (puzzle solutions, kid names (for reasons you'll see when you play), etc) in spoiler tags in this thread!
    Last edited by vociferocity; 07-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Re: Puzzlestuck: A Sburb Text Adventure (play it today!)

I'd DEFINITELY play!! It sounds like a really good, fun idea! Go for it! I'd be willing to help but I doubt I could do much ^^;

thanks for your support! but you...don't need to do anything, haha! it's not really that kind of project. but if you want to check it out, you can play ~puzzlestuck 1.0~, the version that you can dl and play rn. it's an hour of fun puzzley goodness, guaranteed!
    Last edited by vociferocity; 07-13-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Looks good. *dl's*
    I'll get back to this thread when I finish.
    [probably not today though because I have like a mountain of homework to finish???]

Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Man, I'm still stuck in that room in Derse and I've completely forgotten the names of the others.

Man, I suck at this game.
    SBARG 1.5: Lost Pawns an ongoing pesterchum/tumblr RP/ARG. Explores the aftermath and the backstory of the events of SBARG and SBARGv2. Always looking for new faces and fresh puzzlesolvers!

generic hint:
    keep in mind that two of the main commands that puzzlestuck has that a lot of text adventures don't have are "be Y" and "contact Y", where Y is the name of another character (eg: kanaya, dirk). also, the items that are in your inventory to begin with are often invaluable.

better hint:

Hey!
    So, i am playing your game and i am liking it so far (like when the chars comment about an item and you can picture their personalities!)... But i am totally stuck sooooo... Congratulations, i am now a member of the forum because of this game! heueheuheuh

Could you answer this?

You can totally not answer, I don't want it to be easy, but i've been playing for more than an hour already. xD

This is awesome, you're awesome, it is you.

Edit: Ok, i discovered what to do. I'm doing some progress here.
    Last edited by techTalkative; 07-14-2012 at 11:16 AM.

thumbs up for progress! there are a few spots where the syntax is (imo as someone who doesn't play a lot of text adventures) fairly unintuitive, but the pdf I linked in the OP lists pretty much every command you'll ever need for puzzlestuck.

and thanks for the nice comments! I'm really glad this totally self-indulgent project is entertaining people :3

Between the fiery depths of Heaven and the beautiful clouds of Hell.

I'm downloading this now and am really excited to play it, but will have to wait a bit to play and come back later.

Would you mind telling me what you used to make this? I've been working on a Problem Sleuth text adventure in Inform 7, but I'm wondering what other people use to do this.
    *This signature intentionally left (mostly) blank*

inform7 all the way, baby. I know there are other IF engines out there, but this is the one I found first and it's pretty friggin excellent. the ui is great, for one

Between the fiery depths of Heaven and the beautiful clouds of Hell.

I'm going to tell you what I've done so far, please tell me what I've missed.

How much have I missed?
    *This signature intentionally left (mostly) blank*

not much! you're almost done :3

Pronouns
    [other] (see signature)

I thought I took it off.

lmao, continuity error! there are a few of those in there, oops XD I have a couple of larger issues I need to fix, but I'll keep that in mind to fix as well (all the characters will have the same thing happen)

so I've been brainstorming iPuzzlestuck 2.0 a bunch this week, and I have a bunch of solid ideas, even if a lot of the plot details are still fuzzy and whatnot. anyway, I've decided to start putting together the framework for the game, like the scenes and actions and systems I'll definitely need, while I really hash out the character's arcs, and how I'm going to approach god tiering. alchemy is in place, albeit in a super simple way, and I've put together the first character's ~enter the medium~ scene. I'm going to make alchemy more canon-compliant, and then I'm going to start organising prototyping, and basic combat/leveling up/powers? things to think about, anyway.

quick question for any interested parties: would you prefer to have some choices wrt prototyping (like, maybe, 3-10 items in the house that you can toss into the kernelsprite, you can choose whichever one you want), or it be a solid plot event that you have no choice over (in this way, either it'd happen independently of you (aka: > switch on cruxtruder "you turn it on, and toss a print of the mona lisa into the weird blue sphere! huh, now all the imps have enigmatic smiles. weird."), or you'd have to find the right item, or whatever? idk. I worry that this would distract players from the main objective of, you know, actually getting into the medium before they die a fiery meteor death)?

Ok, i'm back! I haven't had time to play your adventure since last weekend (because i got so stuck), but i played again today and I DID IT! WEEEeeeEEeE!!!!!
    So, its massive comment time:

TL/DR: It's an awesome game and i look forward to the sequel, that's really all there is to say on the matter.
    Last edited by techTalkative; 07-21-2012 at 03:49 AM.

more like it's massive reply to massive comment time!

I'm really glad you liked the game! I'll keep updating this thread as I work on puzzlestuck 2.0, but yeah, it'll be pretty slow going. I'm in the middle of a couple of huge final projects for college, so those come first (for a given value of first, anyway)

Pronouns
    [other] (see signature)

Having it fixed would give you less work to do, I think.

yeah for definitelies. idk, it would be cool to have them be plot-related, but I can also see the fun in having them being slightly more procedural with their abilities/speech quirks/whatever else.

combat is now a thing that happens, btw! you can now play the first character all the way to her first gate, and then get the second character into the medium. I'm going to catch up all four characters to the first gate, and then start creating the basic map of their lands, so they can get explorin', and fix up alchemy

Good luck with the college projects!!!

Hope to hear about you soon xD

I love this game so far! It's awesome, but I got stuck near the beginning. I've searched all around the different areas, talked to everyone, and even played as all the player characters! I just can't figure out how to get June out of the room.....

Hmmm... Here are some hints:
    1st - You can go to the four directions at any room, but you can also go UP, DOWN, IN, and OUT. Sometimes this is important.
    2nd - The first quest you will finish is officialPal's, so don't worry about not releasing June.
    Last edited by techTalkative; 08-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Oh wow this looks really cute. o:
    Looking for an RP group to join?
    Check out: http://magicastuck.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Wow, this was amazing! Awesome work, I can't wait for more

Witch of Time clockworkPrincess's Avatar

i can't download it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast