MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: [FANFICTION] Jake English's Mysterious Theater of Scientific Romance From the Year 3k

Commander Shepard's favorite store on the citadel
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

[FANFICTION] Jake English's Mysterious Theater of Scientific Romance From the Year 3k

I've decided to do MSTs of bad fanfiction! But with a twist; Jake English actually likes the works in question! Probably a bit too much actually!

So if anyone has some bad fanfiction from any fandom they want me to MST, please let me know. Just make sure it's "funny bad" and not some kind of weird fetish thing. And if for some reason your work ends up on here I'd gladly take it down if asked, but please be aware that I'm not trying to bash your work unless it you're being a jerk about it. Writing terrible stories is a natural part of learning to become a better writer, and if you want I could give you some guidance for writing a better story.

Here's a list of stories I've worked on so far, as well as the one's I plan to do: (note that most of these works are various degrees of NSFW)

Multi-Chapter Epics

Specials

One-Shots

Episodes by Season

Season 1:
    Wherein Nothing Particularly Important Happens

Season 2:
    Jake English's Excellent Adventure

Season 3:
    Homestuck Vs. Orgy XIII

Season 4:
    Infinite Countdown to Final Blackest Secret Identity Invasion Crisis Zero

Other Stuff

Justice Society of Japan

Fanart (yes I have that now)

Last edited by Edrobot; 12-25-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Re: [FANFICTION] Jake English's Mysterious Theater of Scientific Romance From the Yea

Oh hey. At least I have MSTs to read while The Half-World's author is too busy being in California.
    Sburb Fanventure Do's and Don'ts: a must-read for anyone intending to start a Sburb fanventure or having started one but not having made it past 10 pages

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: [FANFICTION] Jake English's Mysterious Theater of Scientific Romance From the Yea

Keep in mind that I am pretty new at this, so any feedback is appreciated.

Good MST, im hoping dave stays as a permanent character and that you end up MSTing non-homestuck fics with homestuck characters too

(especially my immortal)

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by MacD11 View Post
    Good MST, im hoping dave stays as a permanent character and that you end up MSTing non-homestuck fics with homestuck characters too

(especially my immortal)
    Of course Dave is going to stick around. That being said, I might end up swapping him with Dirk when I get around to "My Little Unicorn".

As for other reviewing other fandoms' works with Homestuck characters, that was kind of the plan. Light and Dark, the Adventures of Dark Yagami is from Death Note, H30 is from Harry Potter, it's pretty obvious what My Little Unicorn is from, Burston's Sorrow is Disney, and Love's Grande Quest is supposedly a Haruhi Shuzumiya fic.

I don't think I'm going to do My Immortal, though. So many people have done that story that there's nothing really left to say about it. I dunno, ask me a few months from now and I might change my mind.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

You're misspelling too many stuff yourself. Socrates, undyingUmbrage, automatically, vengeance, appointment, genius.

Also Nepeta doesn't use capital letters nor punctuation and Dave doesn't use punctuation either.
    Sburb Fanventure Do's and Don'ts: a must-read for anyone intending to start a Sburb fanventure or having started one but not having made it past 10 pages

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by ASBusinessMagnet View Post
    You're misspelling too many stuff yourself. Socrates, undyingUmbrage, automatically, vengeance, appointment, genius.

Also Nepeta doesn't use capital letters nor punctuation and Dave doesn't use punctuation either.
    I guess I'm the one who needs an "Editer"! I'll fix this stuff as soon as I get home from work.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

...aaaaand it's all fixed! Hopefully.

So did you suddenly give up?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

So did you suddenly give up?
    Nah, I just burnt myself out. Trying to update once a day is taxing as it is, and I've been pretty busy lately.

I'm actually almost done with the next chapter of Homestuck High; I'll post it as soon as I'm done proofreading.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

And episode 3 is complete! Quick warning though, this chapter is NSFW thanks to a very badly written sex scene twoards the end of it. It's not essential to any of the jokes, so you can skip past it if you want, but just don't go reading around your kid brother or something like that. Link here.

As for why these updates are so far apart, there's three reasons:

First, I didn't mean to set a precedent by posting stuff two days in a row; I was just kind of excited and still felt like writing stuff.

Second, I had trouble coming up with how to open the episode. Originally I wanted to introduce an onging metaplot about using bad fanfiction to kill Final Fantasy I bosses, but then I realized it just wasn't very funny so I scrapped the whole concept.

And third, I had writers block. Simple as that.

Anyway, next time I'll be doing chapters from HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, so stay tuned!
    Last edited by Edrobot; 07-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Haven't done the H30 MST yet, but I did write a semi-serious article about Plan 9 from Outer Space. I'll probably have the next MST done in a day or so. The fic's short enough that I might get it done all in one go!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Episode 4 is complete, and it contains ALLLL of Thirty Hs.

Honestly, I'd really like more feedback either here on the forums or in the comments section of my blog. Words of encouragement go a long way, but even criticism would be nice since it would tell if I'm doing something wrong.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I just read all that stuff you wrote. My head now hurts from laughing too much.

Ignoramus Extraordinaire MindMessiah's Avatar

First things first, these things are amazing. I might have laughed for a good fifteen minutes reading through all this. However, you asked for criticism, and I will deliver.

Since I'm a grammar Nazi, I feel obliged to point out that there are occasional spelling and grammar errors, though they become less frequent in the later chapters. In addition to this a few of the typing quirks are a bit haphazard, especially with Jake, who can't seem to decide if he should capitalise proper nouns or not. Finally, it might be a good idea to either cut down on the guest appearances, or maybe rotate the panel every so often, since I think that some of the characters could be used for more than just a one-off joke. That's just my opinion, though, and I'm probably in a minority.

Aside from those minor gripes, everything so far is comedy gold. Keep up the good work!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by MindMessiah View Post
    First things first, these things are amazing. I might have laughed for a good fifteen minutes reading through all this. However, you asked for criticism, and I will deliver.

Since I'm a grammar Nazi, I feel obliged to point out that there are occasional spelling and grammar errors, though they become less frequent in the later chapters. In addition to this a few of the typing quirks are a bit haphazard, especially with Jake, who can't seem to decide if he should capitalise proper nouns or not. Finally, it might be a good idea to either cut down on the guest appearances, or maybe rotate the panel every so often, since I think that some of the characters could be used for more than just a one-off joke. That's just my opinion, though, and I'm probably in a minority.

Aside from those minor gripes, everything so far is comedy gold. Keep up the good work!
    Yeah, I know my spelling and grammar and formatting are awful, mostly because I don't sleep very well and that I tend to write this stuff very late at night. I've gotten better as of late, but I'm still pretty bad. I try to get friends and family members to proofread, but most of the people I know arn't too great either. Still, this is the sort of thing that you get batter at with practice, so I'm not too worried.

For the typing quirks, I find Jake to be difficult to write for because I'm bad at finding archaic slang that matches what I want Jake to say, so I compromised by making him sound like an English gentleman.

And the guest characters: I don't try to shoehorn them in, their appearances evolve naturally. Like the joke where Dave tricked Karkat into saying he was gay; I knew it would be a good punchline to have it turn out that Dave had made a bet with someone, and I figured that Nepeta and Calliope would make the most sense. Pinkie Pie was a bit of a stretch since she's not even from Homestuck, but even then I'm parodying her tendency to break out into song. And even with Gamzee's cameo in the Thirty Hs MST, the whole point of the cameo was that it was unexpected and inconsistant, just like the story itself.

Just be glad I didn't go with my original plan, and send them on a quest to slay the Four Feinds from Final Fantasy I using bad fanfiction.

Now, as for roating the panel; there's no question that I'm going to keep Karkat around, and Jake is the title character so he's not going away anytime soon. I'm defiantly going to keep dave around for DAVE STDIDER POKEMON TRANER, though as I said earlier I plan to swap out Dave with Dirk for My Little Unicorn, I'm thinking about using Rose for Love's Grande Quest (though then again, I haven't written Rose before so that might be kind of difficult), and perhaps Vriska would fit in with Light And Dark: The Adventures of Dark Yagami.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Homestuck High: Part 4 is up!

And I just realized that I really need to update my little blog signature thing.

Corrections:

Last 2 parts with jake uses Karkat's Text color.
    "Level me level grinding" should be "me level grinding".

Good read! cant wait for part 5!
    Last edited by MacD11; 07-30-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by MacD11 View Post
    Corrections:

Last 2 parts with jake uses Karkat's Text color.
    "Level me level grinding" should be "me level grinding.

Good read! cant wait for part 5!
    FIXED!

And thank you!

Insomniac of Discrepancy Author's Avatar

You have inspired me. I feel inspired by the poetic poetry of this.

Here you are, a dramatic reading of the first chapter of Homestuck High.

it's so beautiful ;_;

Do you plan on doing Tarvos and Fairie: A Love Story at any point?

Insomniac of Discrepancy Author's Avatar

...There is no way that isn't a trollfic.

The username, the blogstuff, and how supersrsly people are taking it make it a trollfic, right?

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Author View Post

The username, the blogstuff, and how supersrsly people are taking it make it a trollfic, right?

Right?
    No one said Edrobot doesn't want to MST trollfics.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Do you plan on doing Tarvos and Fairie: A Love Story at any point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Author View Post

Right?
    No one said Edrobot doesn't want to MST trollfics.
    Very true. In fact there's good evidence that Light and Dark: The Adventures of Dark Yagami is also a troll fic.

I'll take a look at the fic, but honestly I doubt it's going to be able to beat DAVE STDIDER POKEMON TRANER anytime soon.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Though I'll probably do the pokemon one first since it's a lot more insane.

As for the dramatic reading... it doesn't seem to be actually working. Is it just me?

EDIT 2: Also, if anyone can find some really bad Final Fantasy Fanfiction to riff, I would really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Edrobot; 08-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast