Let's say you're making a video game where the gameplay is a lot like Super Smash Bros., but with Homestuck characters. But there's a catch - you can only include 10 characters due to time constraints. Who would you pick?
Here are mine (as of today):
*Dave [half of sword]
*Spades Slick [multiple weapons]
*Sweet Bro [wepaons]
Last edited by lizard-socks; 03-28-2012 at 11:48 AM.
I'd probably switch out Jake for Jade, Nepeta for Sollux, and Meenah for Jack Noir. I like the initial list apart from that, though.
Edit: Vriska could be interesting too if you could figure out a way to utilize some luck based mechanic with her dice.
Click below for Dancin' Lil' Seb, The WV Folder and other stuff. VV Do it. VV
VV Dream Bubble Speculation VV
20:45 recalcitrantIre: ok heres my crack theory
20:45 recalcitrantIre: dreambubbles are part of a horrorterrors reproductive system
20:45 recalcitrantIre: they made them more accessible because they're getting killed off
20:46 Karp: so...by the kids dying...are they...fertilizing them?
20:46 Kroked: yeeesh
20:46 Kroked: maybe they're the semen?
20:46 Kroked: wait
20:47 Velmen: No wonder we have all these doomed timelines
20:47 Velmen: it all makes sense now
20:47 Velmen: recal
20:47 Velmen: You genius
20:47 Kroked im not sure
20:47 Velmen: basically
20:47 Flikr: The bubbles are clearly the eggs
20:47 Velmen: dreambubbles are a part of a horrorterrors reproductive system
20:47 Velmen: they made them more accessible because they're getting killed off
20:48 Flikr: Dead people grow into horrorterrors
20:48 VC-Phone: Interesting theory. Very much so.
20:48 Velmen: Kroked maybe they're the semen?
20:48 recalcitrantIre: Aradia's thousands of doomed timelines
20:48 recalcitrantIre: were like
20:48 Velmen: offshoots are necessary
20:48 recalcitrantIre: yup
20:48 Velmen: because of fertilization
20:49 Velmen: trufaxx right here
I'm picking 4 kids, 2 per side of the Scratch division.
1) John - well, you kinda have to, him being the hero and all? I see John as a character very similar to Meta Knight: well balanced all-around, easy for new players to get the hang of, his hammer gives him respectable range, and his recovery is outstanding thanks to up-b (The Windy Thing). In the interests of competitive balance, though, he's not gonna be as good as MK. Not falling for that one twice.
If we're using final smashes, John's is using the Windy Thing to smash a car into someone.
2) Roxy - all hail the queen. Roxy is very much the Samus of this game: powerful long-range weapon in her RIFLEKIND abstractus (the charging is depicted as downing a martini to steady her aim), extendable grab (scarf), and droppable bombs (flaming martinis). Note that the full moveset would have to wait until we see her in action in Sburb.
Bonus points awarded for playing Roxy whilst drunk.
If we're using final smashes, hers likely involves wearing the scarf and being the rider (therefore rather linear).
3) Dirk - so stylish, it's not even fair. Dirk resembles Link in many regards: sword with considerable reach, extremely powerful hits and smashes, deceptive quickness despite his size. Link's hookshot grab would be traded in for slightly better recovery, and his side-b would be like Fox's in Melee (flash step sideways). Down-b becomes Lil' Cal, which, well, I dunno what it does, but it's probably ridiculous.
Final smash: Dirk summons Sawtooth, who rapnihilates enemies within a given radius. Or, Fancy Santa. Too many good options.
4) Jade - as befits someone who has ascended to Dog Tier, very akin to Fox. Her rifle fires faster and with basically no lag compared to Roxy, but it also does less damage and cannot be charged. Very fast, with the benefit of brutally powerful midair attacks. Various b-attacks involve the Spacey Thing, and I'm way too lazy to figure them all out right now.
Final smash: what pumpkin?
Then 4 trolls. I'm only doing ones from the Karkat party because those are the only ones we've really seen in action. Also, because those first 4 took a lot longer than I care to admit, these descriptions are a lot shorter.
5) Equius - similar to DK. Slow but extremely STRONGpowerful.
6) Nepeta - similar to Kirby. Fast, many pouncesjumps.
7) Vriska - similar to Ness. Uses psychic powers in battle, extremely skill-intensive.
8 ) Karkat - similar to Mario. Good stats overall, but none that particularly stand out.
Unlockable characters (you can't get mad at me for doing this, the first SSB did too):
9) Dave - very much like Young Link. 1/2SWORDKIND gives him less reach, but he makes up for that with increases speed (due to Timey shenanigans) and a slightly more powerful moveset.
10) Jane - because life is too short not to see people get hit by a spoon repeatedly.
11) Feferi - the Yoshi of this character set. She... doesn't make much sense. But she does have a cool trident.
12) Gamzee - like Zelda/Shiek, he can transform between Miracle and Sober modes. Miracle is the mighty glacier; Sober is the glass cannon.
Last edited by tanquerayChampion; 03-28-2012 at 12:34 PM.
other then the "homestrife" project... someone was trying to get John into MUGEN a year or two back. I haven't seen any footage on Youtube about that, but they do use the Land of Pulse and Haze (and Atomic Atmosphere) for a background fighting stage in the MUGEN game.
I think that Gamzee would be an amazingly interesting character for this, with his jokerkind strife specibus he could play a variety of different playstyles, possibly a switching mode between heavier weapons (Warhammer of Zillyhoo) and lighter (Deuce clubs) or even ranged (Bowkind), although this may make him too spread out and fragile.
Going along with the SSB comparison: two different single-player modes.
1) Classic - a series of fights against the PCs with some variable rule rounds (giant Equius, flock of kittenstiny Nepetas, etc.), along with some NPCs (Ogres, a many-man melee against IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMPS!). Final battles take place on the Battlefield against members of the Black King's army, culminating in the King himself...
...who, if you're not playing on Easy, then gets brutally murdered about 30 seconds into the battle by the real final boss, Bec Noir.
2) Adventure - work your way through a number of stages a la the Adventure mode in SSBM, only based on Homestuck planets (LOHAC, LOFAF, etc.). Here the story takes you into the Furthest Ring, where you battle the Handmaid en route to your boss fight beyond the fourth wall against Doc Scratch. If you are playing on Hard or above and clear Scratch without continuing, you then face off against Lord English. And if you have a high enough score, you get to face the true greatest threat of Homestuck in that most eldritch of final locations...
Sweet Bro on the infinite staircase. It keeps happening.
This fight is unwinnable by design, as the stairs will kill you even if you beat SB.
John(Hammerkind)(Would have a Jake alt), Rose(Needlekind)(Would have a Roxy alt), Dave(Bladekind, 1/2Bladekind)(Dirk alt), Jade(Riflekind)(Jane alt), naturally. That's 4, and reps all 8 kids, both Alpha and Beta.
Karkat(Sicklekind), Vriska(Dicekind), Terezi(Canekind), Nepeta(Clawkind) and Gamzee(Clubkind, Jokerkind; he'd be one of the 2 OP chars) for Trolls. Wait, actually... one of the Sea Dwwellers should be on there. Feferi instead of Nepeta.
Karkat, Vriska and Terezi are must-haves, by far being the most important trolls. Gamzee is both due to his recent role as best character in the gogdamn comic, and his less recent role as... also the best character in the gogdamn comic. And I said Nep at first because, mainly, she's ADOOOOOOOORABLE. Also, her claws would provide for an interesting, hand-to-hand fighting style. But Rose has Needles which are close enough, and Feferi is more important(Condesce-wise anyway) and represents Sea Dwwellers.
Each one of these would also have an alt... let's see... Eridan for Feferi, Equius for Gamzee, Kanaya for Vriska, Sollux for Karkat and.... hmmm... either Nepeta or Aradia for Terezi.
In addition to 4 kids and 5 trolls, the tenth guy would be Jack Noir.
The way I imagine the game working is like this:
It's a Smash-like, platform-based fighter. It also borrows plenty of elements from classic, traditional fighters. When a foe dies, instead of losing a life, like in Smash, or switching to ROUND 2, like in traditional fighters, they are revived, in a second form. Die in the second form, and they Get the Tiger(Noir's equivalents would be Jackspers Noirlecrow and then Bec Noir.). That gives all 10 characters 3 different unique movesets each, which you would have to master all 3 in order to truly master a character.
Normally, it goes sort of like this:
Basic character; essentially, how they are at first. Not particularly strong, doesn't have much fighting training, equipment is based on their early equipment; say, for example, John near the beginning of the comic; doesn't even have the Pogo Hammer yet, has a shitty Sylladex, no combat experience.... and his moveset would reflect this.
Second form; Essentially, a good pre-god tier strong form. John would be dual-wielding the Wrinklefucker and the Pogohammer, he could do a not-as-good Windy Thing... etc.
God Tier; GOD TIER. Do I even need to say more? Interestingly, despite how very unbalanced Basic chars are(Any of the trolls would easily outclass, say, John or Rose, etc. etc.), God Tier forms would be pretty balanced. Interestingly, God Tier Gamzee would be less powerful than Second Form Gamzee(2nd Form being Sober, God Tier and Basic being Stoned).
Noir and Gamzee are the secret characters.
And Noir's alt is Peregrine Medicant.
Last edited by MoThErFuCkInMiRaClEs; 04-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.