MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 90 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Pesterchum Quirks thread: Request and post your quirks here!

His Honorable Tyranny cardiacAtrophy's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Pesterchum Quirks thread: Request and post your quirks here!

Get Pesterchum and learn how to use it here.

Find chums here.

Have trouble figuring out how to get a quirk to work? Too lazy to make one on your own, but know what you want? Don't know what you want, and looking for inspiration, or a quirk to steal?

Welcome to the Pesterchum quirks thread. Here, people experienced with the quirks function and regex in general can help you out with constructing your favorite quirk, or making one with you in mind. Simply explain what it is you're looking for, and leave a short example sentence. Preferably, something that contains all the characters you want affected. As well, if you're currently using quirks, and you want us to add something, provide a screenshot of the quirks you're using, so we can make sure our regexp doesn't conflict with the regexp you're using.

NOTICE: Please come in here knowing what it is you want done. This thread is meant to deal with the TECHNICAL side of quirks, not the CREATIVE side. It is up to you to decide what you want your quirk to be. It's your fantroll/fankid, so please work this stuff out beforehand. If you feel enough people will have trouble with the creative side, make a thread to gather creative people to help.

ATTENTION: If you are coming here for a color-related quirk, please read this!
    Instructions for gradients are provided on this post. If you really can't make it work, follow the instructions at the end of the post and I will help you. If you are requesting any other kind of color-related quirk, let me know and I will make it work. HOWEVER, we WILL refuse ANY request for a quirk to make it so that EVERY character or NEARLY every character a different color, NO EXCEPTIONS. Every color code is a 13-19 character overhead (overhead is an "expense" which is required to gain or use something, in this case you lose 13-19 characters for one color), and IRC protocol only allows for a maximum of, I believe, 422 characters. 13-19 of this is spent on your handle's color, and 4 on your handle's initials followed by a colon and a space.

Anyone is allowed to make a quirk for someone, and post easier/better methods of a quirk if they want to.

Keep in mind, some things may be beyond the limitations of pesterchum, and that people are working on this for you, so if there's a mistake or delay, please give them time.

ATTENTION: You can now make a gradient of your own. All you have to do is follow the instructions provided.

Gradient:

Original gradient "gradientify" by unknown. Source.

How to activate a gradient

IF, and only IF you have made a legitimate attempt at making your own gradient, pm a pastebin of the file you tried to make, and I will not only correct the errors, but explain what they are.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Pesterchum Quirks thread: Request and post your quirks here!

Going to quote ghostdunk's quirks FAQ here as well, to provide reference to those attempting to do what they can.

Quote Originally Posted by illuminatedwax View Post
    QUIRKS
    OK so this is out of date but i'm tired and i'm going to bed now...i'll fix this...later

There are six kinds of quirks! I'll teach you how to use them all! (In this section, I will use quotes ("") around things so it's clearer to see exactly what to type! Don't include these quotes when using these examples!

Also, note that your quirks will not work until you save them by hitting "OK" on the Quirk window.

CHEAT SHEET (all trolls' quirks)
    https://github.com/kiooeht/pesterchu...ollquirks.mkdn

PREFIX/SUFFIX

Simple Replace:

Regexp Replace:

Random replace:

Mispeller:

Something ghostDunk didn't include in the original post:

Lookahead and Lookbehind (lookarounds)

Frequently Asked Quirks:

OTHER IRC CLIENTS

Since pesterchum is built around the IRC protocol, it is possible to access it from a client such as mIRC or Xchat. (If you do not know how to get the server to accept your non-pesterchum client connection, message ghostdunk on tumblr).

A quick set of codes to make your mIRC experience easier!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quirk for kikiza:

thiS iS thE formaT.

Regexp: \b(\w)
    replace: lower(\1)
    #Makes sure the first letter is minuscule. Can be removed if unneeded.

Regexp: (\w)\b
    replace: upper(\1)
    #Makes sure the final letter is majuscule.

Knight of Breath Captain Combusken's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Ok then, let's get these shenanigans started (great thread idea bro.)

Do you remember my quirk that (d)i(d) (t)hi(S)? Well there has been a slight problem with it.

It won't do it for one letter words like I or a, and it won't do it for any two-letter words either. All other words are Ok, it's just those that are the problem.

I have:
    Regexp (\w)(\w+)(\w)
    (\1)\2(\3)

Regexp (\1)\2(\3)
    (\1)

That's what I have at the moment. Help please?
    Sburbmon || Chain || Saviours [Hiatus] || Mutations [Hiatus]
    3DS FC: 2878-9803-3958

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Solved in a minute flat!

Regexp: (\b\w|\w\b)
    Replace: (\1)

Haha, for the random replace, for instance the s randomly replaced with 5, I just typed "5sssssssssssssssssssssss" and it works alright. I not really sure if thats hows its supposed to work but oh well!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I like to try to space out the lower-chance things fairly randomly throughout the higher chanced things. I feel grouping them all on one end might unfairly put a bunch of weight toward one option or the other at given times.

But yeah, just putting it to randomly replace s with 5 or with s at a 1:15 ratio. You've got the hang of random replace.

Okay, I need some help with quirks. I want ic --> yyk except in certain cases, like where the c would be a soft sound (as in icily or the like) or where the k would be redundant, and that's all great. The problem is that whenever there is an ic --> yyk switch the character following 'yyk' is deleted. Can someone help me figure it out?

@cardiacAtrophy I saw your reply in the pesterchum thread, tried you codes and they didn't really work out for me. Also you said "icily? That's a Hard C. Anyway." but that is not the case, the 'c' in 'icily' is pronounced as more of an 's' much in the same way it's pronounced in 'ice.' And I believe you've misread my post, as I do NOT want the ic --> yyk when ic is followed by a k, so it wouldn't replace pick with pyykk.

i need a quirk to sem like those old terminals

>A LITTLE LIKE THIS, WITH MORE ADVANCE WORDS THAN IN THE AVERAGE VOCABULARY, IT SHOULD ALSO SEEM LIKE AN A.I. IS DIRECTING THE TERMINAL, AND HAVE AN OCCASIONAL STUTTER<
    Your chumhandle is cyborgScientist and >AS A SIDE EFFECTT OF MANY IMPLAANTS, PROSTHEEETICS, AND AUGMENTIONS, YOU SPEAK MUCH LIKE ANm A.I. QUUITEEE CLEAR, INTELLIGENT, AND WELL PRONOUNCED, OOFTEN HOWEVER THE COMPLEXITY wF YOUR BRAIN IS FAR TO MUCH, AND YOU MAKE SEVERAL SLIPS AND STUTTERS, HOWEVER MINOR THEY MAAY BE, PROTOCOL DICTATES MANY OFF YOURR ACTTIONS. YOU WIELD MANY STRIFE SPECIBI, INCLUDING THE 3PRTLKIND SPECIBUS.<

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Terymedes View Post
    Okay, I need some help with quirks. I want ic --> yyk except in certain cases, like where the c would be a soft sound (as in icily or the like) or where the k would be redundant, and that's all great. The problem is that whenever there is an ic --> yyk switch the character following 'yyk' is deleted. Can someone help me figure it out?

@cardiacAtrophy I saw your reply in the pesterchum thread, tried you codes and they didn't really work out for me. Also you said "icily? That's a Hard C. Anyway." but that is not the case, the 'c' in 'icily' is pronounced as more of an 's' much in the same way it's pronounced in 'ice.' And I believe you've misread my post, as I do NOT want the ic --> yyk when ic is followed by a k, so it wouldn't replace pick with pyykk.
    I said icicle and icily. First one is a hanging column of ice, second means in a manner similar to ice.

And when a c makes an "s" sound, it's a soft c. What you want are hard Cs, the "k" sound, to be modified.

Anyway, it's a really difficult one to make. Regex is not responsive to how it's pronounced, only how the letters are arranged. Ergo, I need time to figure out what combinations do make "ic" become a soft c, and eliminate those as options on what to catch.

So, I think I've found everything. Try this, tell me if you continue to have issues, such as soft c words still getting caught. (remember, soft c = suh, hard c = kuh)

regexp: (ic)([^ei])
    replace: ykk\2

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat8 View Post
    i need a quirk to sem like those old terminals

>A LITTLE LIKE THIS, WITH MORE ADVANCE WORDS THAN IN THE AVERAGE VOCABULARY, IT SHOULD ALSO SEEM LIKE AN A.I. IS DIRECTING THE TERMINAL, AND HAVE AN OCCASIONAL STUTTER<
    As for the prefix and what not, easy enough. Feel like elaborating a little, though? Advance words? Average Vocabulary? How should it look to seem like an A.I. is directing the terminal? In what way should the "stutter" be represented, or in what way do you mean that it stutters?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool View Post
    Puting my own quirk here, so I don't lose it when I need a fresh intall of Pesterchum:
    ([a-zA-Z])([^a-zA-Z]*)$ -> \1\1\1\1\1\2
    I've condensed the quirk for you. Since [\w] equals [a-zA-Z] and [\W] equals [^a-zA-Z], then the following is the exact same

([\w])([\W]*)$ -> \1\1\1\1\1\2

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacAtrophy View Post
    As for the prefix and what not, easy enough. Feel like elaborating a little, though? Advance words? Average Vocabulary? How should it look to seem like an A.I. is directing the terminal? In what way should the "stutter" be represented, or in what way do you mean that it stutters?
    i have the prefix and suffix set up, i think i meant i want it to be sort of like one of those RobCo terminals in formating [i know i can't really change the font with what is currently available] and then have it have a very pronounced and correct way of speaking [as if it knows everything], but i think i can do that manually [i often do it as a joke] i guess i more need some way to stutter randomly rather than in a predictable fashion, and something that'll randomly replace some things with errors and such [an old terminal running the kind of A.I. i have in mind is bound to slip a little] for example of what i mean, look to some of the more well known A.I.s, HAL, GLaDOS, or i think more closely related to what i want, SHODAN [the more glitchy version in the second game]

more importantly i want you to note their almost sarcastic sounding display of intelligence, as if they're mocking humans for having to bend the language for easier command, this does not mean i will use it to talk like shakespeare [no one would understand me] in fact thinking now i can't think of things that i'd need a code to do this for me, so forget the intelligent thing unless you really feel like you must [i imagine some might see this as somewhat of a challenge, though i do not know why] and now look what you've made me do, i'm speaking in a manner which i might hope i use on pesterchum
    Your chumhandle is cyborgScientist and >AS A SIDE EFFECTT OF MANY IMPLAANTS, PROSTHEEETICS, AND AUGMENTIONS, YOU SPEAK MUCH LIKE ANm A.I. QUUITEEE CLEAR, INTELLIGENT, AND WELL PRONOUNCED, OOFTEN HOWEVER THE COMPLEXITY wF YOUR BRAIN IS FAR TO MUCH, AND YOU MAKE SEVERAL SLIPS AND STUTTERS, HOWEVER MINOR THEY MAAY BE, PROTOCOL DICTATES MANY OFF YOURR ACTTIONS. YOU WIELD MANY STRIFE SPECIBI, INCLUDING THE 3PRTLKIND SPECIBUS.<

Pronouns
    he/him/his

i have the prefix and suffix set up, i think i meant i want it to be sort of like one of those RobCo terminals in formating [i know i can't really change the font with what is currently available] and then have it have a very pronounced and correct way of speaking [as if it knows everything], but i think i can do that manually [i often do it as a joke] i guess i more need some way to stutter randomly rather than in a predictable fashion, and something that'll randomly replace some things with errors and such [an old terminal running the kind of A.I. i have in mind is bound to slip a little] for example of what i mean, look to some of the more well known A.I.s, HAL, GLaDOS, or i think more closely related to what i want, SHODAN [the more glitchy version in the second game]

more importantly i want you to note their almost sarcastic sounding display of intelligence, as if they're mocking humans for having to bend the language for easier command, this does not mean i will use it to talk like shakespeare [no one would understand me] in fact thinking now i can't think of things that i'd need a code to do this for me, so forget the intelligent thing unless you really feel like you must [i imagine some might see this as somewhat of a challenge, though i do not know why] and now look what you've made me do, i'm speaking in a manner which i might hope i use on pesterchum
    As for the nature of the user's vernacular, that's not really how these programmed quirks work. That's pretty much entirely up to you. As for the stutter, I'm still unclear on what you mean. I've never played System shock 2. Really, though, you simply select what you want to be replaced with the stuttering (example: (\w) for any given alphanumeric, (\W) for non-alphanumeric, (\s) for spaces, (\S) for non-spaces.)

so there's no random stutter? i can deal with that, i'll go work on it, and also see about replacing all single-digit numbers with their binary equivalent, maybe have some randomly inserted errors on words i use a lot [i'm thinking to do that i'd just put the word itself as an option, the error, and then somewhere between two or four synonyms], and SHODAN is quite a conflicted A.I., meaning she'd talk with a mix of minor and major stutters [sometimes maybe saying the same word three times, not sure because it's been forever since i watched someone play that game] like this

no i do not actually expect you to watch that, and no i don't expect to be able to change the tone or anything of my text, however the meat of that should be possible, and while it can't change my "vernacular" [i shall look that up, if only to prove to myself that everyone is using it right] it can replace words with synonyms that might help push it, so i was more expecting suggestions of words i might replace

Pronouns
    he/him/his

No, you CAN make a random stutter. Like, if you want it to randomly repeat a single letter?

Code:
    regex: (\w) or (\w+) for a whole word
    random repalce:\1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1\1
    \1\1\1
    \1\1\1\1
    \1\1\1\1\1
    \1\1\1\1\1\1
    \1\1\1\1
    \1\1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    \1
    Should hopefully be random enough.

As for the words you want to replace, that's really up to you. I'm not very familiar with rogue a.i. type characters. I'm only familiar with GLADoS and HAL.

thank you for the code, i'll see how it works

Hello, how would I do a quirk that capitalizes the last letter of each word kindA likE thiS?

Pronouns
    he/him/his

thank you for the code, i'll see how it works
    If you want to make the quirk happen less often, add more \1 entries. If you want to add more kinds of glitching, put whatever, and remember that \1 will put what the quirk catches.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionInsanity
    Hello, how would I do a quirk that capitalizes the last letter of each word kindA likE thiS?
    Regexp: (\w)\b
    replace: upper(\1)

ok i jumped into putting it in with all confidence and then realized i have NO IDEA where or how to plug this code in...however i'll continue adding numbers to my random converter [it has binary and everything you can find on funnicode] and then i'll get along to replacing simple words with better synonyms

EDIT: ok apparently i function more efficiently when i'm tired, i just reread the code and figured it out :P whoopsies, also if i just use random replace for this number thing, that will convert the numbers in multi-digit numbers as well right? i might need to fix that later, however i usually manually type out my numbers manually

and do i put each /1 in a different line or copy paste the whole thing in one entry? i guess i could figure it out myself but still, don't want my computer exploding [it tends to fail, especially when watching youtube]

EDIT2:

i did not edit that at all, i clicked test quirks and ran the thing in my signature through, and it was split into 95[not kidding, i counted] different entries, so i ran a little warning for everyone through it to help illustrate, it read "holy shit, don't just copy that code in"

thank you for taking time to heed my warning

or i might have used the wrong quirk type, but still just to be safe don't just copy it, i'll try again later when i'm not too lazy and tired to even consider entering this line by line
    Last edited by blackcat8; 03-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

I put that stuff in the code box just to condense it. Yes, you just need to use random replace to do it. And yes, you do enter each entry one at a time.

Land of Trees and Hicks (Southern Virginia)
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

(Continuing here for relevancy)

Okay, I got the generic rainbow gradient to work fine, but I tried to edit to edit it with personalized colors, and it didn't turn out so well.

It's supposed to be a red-to-orange gradient, but instead, it comes out as light gray to black. You can probably tell how illiterate I am at this, so help would be appreciated.

Pronouns
    he/him/his

It's working fine for me, though it gradients orange-to-red. Try arranging the color codes in reverse, use the quirk in a test thing, and show me a screenshot of the results.

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Auto-entering after every punctuation. How is it done.

Page 1 of 90 12341151 ... LastLast