MSPA Forums

Thread: Cursorstuck - A Homestuck point-and-click Flash game!

Lord of Procrastination cyanAmpersand's Avatar
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Cursorstuck - A Homestuck point-and-click Flash game!

I started making a Homestuck point-and-click game, which is completely canon and follows the story as close as possible so far.
    It's still in very early stages, so far it goes up to about John: Take nails.

You can play it here.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them!

Screenshots:
    Last edited by cyanAmpersand; 09-26-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Changed the link to a deviantArt one instead of Megaswf. Also removed download links.

Re: Cursorstuck - A Homestuck point-and-click Flash game!

That's a really good idea!

It could be a nice to read through the archive. I find it easier to read with the text in smaller chunk.

And you could maybe allow the reader to click instead of pressing space, so you can do everything with one hand.

Pretty good so far for what it is. Could be pretty good. Keep on!

Hmm, any plans on expanding it to be more freeform? For instance you can examine things like the poster in any order, or even not at all. There are probably limits to this in the order you pick up and drop things are important as a setup to some later occurances. To make those interactions freeform would need deviation from the story, yet could be a worthwhile seperate or expansion effort to this project.

This is amazing!I really hope you continue with this,I'm a huge fan of point and click games!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    Hmm, any plans on expanding it to be more freeform? For instance you can examine things like the poster in any order, or even not at all. There are probably limits to this in the order you pick up and drop things are important as a setup to some later occurances. To make those interactions freeform would need deviation from the story, yet could be a worthwhile seperate or expansion effort to this project.
    Yeah, I did want to do it like that, but I also want it to follow the story as closely as possible. I could make the unimportant stuff optional (like looking at a poster etc.), but a lot of the time they're half the fun of it!
    Also, if I were to do it like that, would you be able to, for example, look at the Problem Sleuth poster at any time in the game when it is visible? Or just during the starting bit? I don't play a lot of point-and-clicks to be honest (I probably should, really, seeing as I am making one haha). I mean, I know that this is different to most in that it is much more linear, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, let me know! Should it be linear, and follow the comic near-perfectly, or should the player be given more freedom with what they do?

I say it should be more linear, If you're just trying to follow the story it would be better if you continued to make it the way you're doing right now.

Anyway there isn't that much part of the comic that can have interactivity like that. You could maybe make the character's introductions interactive if you can (Instead of making the player click on things one after the other to look at them, you could put an arrow over all the possible things to look at and continue the story after they are all done).

But most of the time, you won't have the chance to do that. If you want to follow the comic, it's going to be more like an "adaptation" of the story, than a game.

I input the name JOHN EGBERT.

TRY AGAIN, SMARTASS

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAipom View Post
    I input the name JOHN EGBERT.

TRY AGAIN, SMARTASS
    I was tempted to type Zoosmell Pooplord, but decided to do the same as you.

NOPE.

Back to topic, this is a great idea. Keep at it!

Pronouns
    he/him/his

Yeaah, I don't know anything about strings/input text in AS, so that'll have to make do for now. Until I find out how to do it, that is.

The original suggestive 'brows GiovanH's Avatar
    Locked in a perpetual orbit around a point three seconds left of the future

This is really good! One suggestion though. Save the images as .PNG files to avoid JPG artifacts, which seem to be clustered around.

(( Yes, actually save the file and import it. ))
    Here's a thing. Here's another thing. wow, it's like things grow on trees down here in footer land. is that what i think it is? nope, it's just a thing.

Pronouns
    they/them/theirs

Look really cool, keep up the good work!
    KURAI SEKAI [Postponed Untill September2014]
    ARCADIA [Update on June 23]

Master Douchelord Vyro P. Dragon III's Avatar

holy necrobump batman