Next goal is having John and LOWAS completed by the end of the year. This includes sound and music.
If you want to help us reach this, and subsequent goals, go here to find details.
Homestrife is a fan-community made multiplayer fighting game project based on Homestuck. The gameplay is mainly based on Super Smash Bros, but we'll be injecting it with mechanics from more traditional fighters, like Street Fighter, Marvel VS Capcom and Blazblue, to attempt to make a deep, technical fighter that even high level players can appreciate and enjoy.
For the final version, we want to meet the following specs:
- Run on multiple platforms--at absolute minimum including Win7, Intel-based Macs, and Ubuntu Linux.
- Up to 4 players.
- Network play, so that people on the forum can play against each other .
- Adjustable gameplay parameters where possible, including configurable controls .
- Multiple input devices, keyboard/game-pad/fight stick/etc.
The full version will contain:
- 20 characters(The 4 original kids, 12 trolls, Jack "Bec" Noir, Doc Scratch, Hussie, and 1 secret character)
- At least 1 stage per character
- Several game modes, including:
- Arcade Mode(Maybe) - 1 player - random opponents leading up to a final boss?
- Local Multiplayer - 1-4 players
- Online Multiplayer - 2-4 players
- Training - 1-2 players
You can visit our official website and wiki to find more detailed information, including: character movesets and game mechanics.
We're going HD for this project, so you'll be able to play it in a resolution of, up to, glorious 1080p(1920x1080 in 16:9, 1920x1200 in 16:10). It will be scalable, probably from 640x480 or something, so you shouldn't need to sweat getting a fancy computer to play it.
For sprites we're going with glorious HD, hand drawn(though aliased) sprites. Style-wise though, we're going with Hero-mode, as if they're ripped straight from the comic itself, giving the impression of a living, breathing comic.
We of course won't forget our roots, so of course we'll have low-res things for effects and possible a lot of the GUI. An example of effects would be having the low-res Courier font popping up when you block(ABSTAIN), dodge(ABSCOND), when Equius jumps(STRONG JUMP), and wherever appropriate.
We want a nice variety of music. We hope to get permission from the official music team to use official tracks from the official albums. Here is a list of most of the official tracks and comments on whether or not we think they're appropriate for a fighting game. We probably won't be able to cover everything with the official tracks(like menus, the official theme, etc.) so we'll enlist other fans to create original and remix tracks to fill any gaps.
Sound effects we aren't sure of yet, haven't really put though into it yet, but we will need to create and collect a bunch of sound effects to use. This will include menu sounds as well as battle sounds. We will also recruit voice actors to voice our intrepid heroes. Voice clips will include; selection quotes, entrance banter, grunts and exertions, attack quotes, victory quotes, etc.
There will be 20 characters playable in the game, those being the 4 original kids, the 12 trolls, Jack "Bec" Noir, Doc Scratch, Hussie himself, and one super secret character. Additional characters will possibly be DLC, either officially made or fan-made, created after the release of the final version.
There will be no costumes off the bat as each new costume is essentially a new character and with each character possibly having upwards of 1000 frames of animation, it's a LOT of work for a small team. Costumes aren't entirely ruled out though. Like mentioned in the above paragraph, costumes can possibly be DLC, either officially made or fan-made, created after the release of the final version.
But since the character art will be aliased, indexed art, there will definitely be multiple palettes/colors per character, ala every other 2d fighting game.
We get a lot of people coming in and saying that that want to help. If you do want to help, keep track of this section to see what we need to tackle.
Right now we need:
- HUD and GUI designs: We've got a rough idea on what the character select screen will look like, but we still want to polish it up. The rest of the GUI/Menus we need stuff for still. Same goes with in-strife HUD(health bar, special bar, etc.)
- Stage designs: We've got LOWAS more or less locked in art-wise by the brilliant LuciferZ. The other 2 stages are nowhere. We've seen the occasional rough design, but nothing to follow.
- Animators and color artists: With work speeding up, and due dates being set, we need people to help with the meat of the project; Character art and animations. Check here for details.
Stuff we don't need yet, but can be worked on if you wish:
- Music: Feel free to make remixes and/or original tracks for us to use. Since this is a fan-service type game, we need songs people can recognize, so remixes are preferred. Note that for now you'd be doing this on your own free will. We have no obligation to use every track we receive.
- Movesets: These are welcome for every planned character so far. The catch is that anything that isn't John, Rose, Karkat or Vriska needs to be recorded for a later date by you, or sent to me directly to record. Don't post movesets in the thread. They are completely off-topic.
When it comes to art based stuff, start with rough ideas/concepts/drawings. There's 2 reasons for this: 1. We don't want you putting up final-ish art on the first try then have us make you redo the whole thing. And 2. We want a broad array of ideas. The first idea is NEVER the best. Takes time to develop designs.
Our major goal is getting to our first beta release. This will consist of:
- Full movement and attack sets
- Rudimentary network play
- 4 playable characters - John, Karkat, Rose, Vriska
- At least 2 stages, including: LOWAS(gimmick free) and Equius' robot cage(closed "Street Fighter" stage)
It'll be considered an Alpha or Beta, so there should be plenty of room for improvement, as indicated by you, the community. Until then we're just working on characters and perfecting the basic engine. We will release intermittent Tech *slash* Pre-Alpha demos when we think we've made significant progress.
PLEASE don't discuss anything unless it's relevant to reaching that goal.
If you want to talk about off-topic stuff, visit the Off-Topic Thread.
Notable new versions of demos will come when they come.
If you want the full version, get in line. Like any other internet based project, it'll be done when it's done. We're not working on this 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. We're doing this in our free time, it's not our job. Real life will get in the way, whether it be school, actual jobs or whatever. So if you want to speed things along, see how you can help. If you can't; I'm afraid you'll just have to be patient. We want this done as much as you do.
The thread that started it all