MSPA Forums
Page 1 of 92 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Homestrife 4⅓ - Development Thread 2 - New release goal: End of May!

Talking Homestrife 4⅓ - Development Thread 2 - New release goal: End of May!

Next goal is having John and LOWAS completed by the end of the year. This includes sound and music.

If you want to help us reach this, and subsequent goals, go here to find details.

Homestrife is a fan-community made multiplayer fighting game project based on Homestuck. The gameplay is mainly based on Super Smash Bros, but we'll be injecting it with mechanics from more traditional fighters, like Street Fighter, Marvel VS Capcom and Blazblue, to attempt to make a deep, technical fighter that even high level players can appreciate and enjoy.

For the final version, we want to meet the following specs:
    • Run on multiple platforms--at absolute minimum including Win7, Intel-based Macs, and Ubuntu Linux.
    • Up to 4 players.
    • Network play, so that people on the forum can play against each other .
    • Adjustable gameplay parameters where possible, including configurable controls .
    • Multiple input devices, keyboard/game-pad/fight stick/etc.

The full version will contain:
    • 20 characters(The 4 original kids, 12 trolls, Jack "Bec" Noir, Doc Scratch, Hussie, and 1 secret character)
    • At least 1 stage per character
    • Several game modes, including:
      • Arcade Mode(Maybe) - 1 player - random opponents leading up to a final boss?
      • Local Multiplayer - 1-4 players
      • Online Multiplayer - 2-4 players
      • Training - 1-2 players

You can visit our official website and wiki to find more detailed information, including: character movesets and game mechanics.

We're going HD for this project, so you'll be able to play it in a resolution of, up to, glorious 1080p(1920x1080 in 16:9, 1920x1200 in 16:10). It will be scalable, probably from 640x480 or something, so you shouldn't need to sweat getting a fancy computer to play it.

For sprites we're going with glorious HD, hand drawn(though aliased) sprites. Style-wise though, we're going with Hero-mode, as if they're ripped straight from the comic itself, giving the impression of a living, breathing comic.

Sprite examples:

Screenshots:

We of course won't forget our roots, so of course we'll have low-res things for effects and possible a lot of the GUI. An example of effects would be having the low-res Courier font popping up when you block(ABSTAIN), dodge(ABSCOND), when Equius jumps(STRONG JUMP), and wherever appropriate.

We want a nice variety of music. We hope to get permission from the official music team to use official tracks from the official albums. Here is a list of most of the official tracks and comments on whether or not we think they're appropriate for a fighting game. We probably won't be able to cover everything with the official tracks(like menus, the official theme, etc.) so we'll enlist other fans to create original and remix tracks to fill any gaps.

Sound effects we aren't sure of yet, haven't really put though into it yet, but we will need to create and collect a bunch of sound effects to use. This will include menu sounds as well as battle sounds. We will also recruit voice actors to voice our intrepid heroes. Voice clips will include; selection quotes, entrance banter, grunts and exertions, attack quotes, victory quotes, etc.

There will be 20 characters playable in the game, those being the 4 original kids, the 12 trolls, Jack "Bec" Noir, Doc Scratch, Hussie himself, and one super secret character. Additional characters will possibly be DLC, either officially made or fan-made, created after the release of the final version.

There will be no costumes off the bat as each new costume is essentially a new character and with each character possibly having upwards of 1000 frames of animation, it's a LOT of work for a small team. Costumes aren't entirely ruled out though. Like mentioned in the above paragraph, costumes can possibly be DLC, either officially made or fan-made, created after the release of the final version.

But since the character art will be aliased, indexed art, there will definitely be multiple palettes/colors per character, ala every other 2d fighting game.

We get a lot of people coming in and saying that that want to help. If you do want to help, keep track of this section to see what we need to tackle.

Right now we need:
    • HUD and GUI designs: We've got a rough idea on what the character select screen will look like, but we still want to polish it up. The rest of the GUI/Menus we need stuff for still. Same goes with in-strife HUD(health bar, special bar, etc.)
    • Stage designs: We've got LOWAS more or less locked in art-wise by the brilliant LuciferZ. The other 2 stages are nowhere. We've seen the occasional rough design, but nothing to follow.
    • Animators and color artists: With work speeding up, and due dates being set, we need people to help with the meat of the project; Character art and animations. Check here for details.

Stuff we don't need yet, but can be worked on if you wish:
    • Music: Feel free to make remixes and/or original tracks for us to use. Since this is a fan-service type game, we need songs people can recognize, so remixes are preferred. Note that for now you'd be doing this on your own free will. We have no obligation to use every track we receive.
    • Movesets: These are welcome for every planned character so far. The catch is that anything that isn't John, Rose, Karkat or Vriska needs to be recorded for a later date by you, or sent to me directly to record. Don't post movesets in the thread. They are completely off-topic.

When it comes to art based stuff, start with rough ideas/concepts/drawings. There's 2 reasons for this: 1. We don't want you putting up final-ish art on the first try then have us make you redo the whole thing. And 2. We want a broad array of ideas. The first idea is NEVER the best. Takes time to develop designs.

Our major goal is getting to our first beta release. This will consist of:

- Full movement and attack sets
    - Rudimentary network play
    - 4 playable characters - John, Karkat, Rose, Vriska
    - At least 2 stages, including: LOWAS(gimmick free) and Equius' robot cage(closed "Street Fighter" stage)

It'll be considered an Alpha or Beta, so there should be plenty of room for improvement, as indicated by you, the community. Until then we're just working on characters and perfecting the basic engine. We will release intermittent Tech *slash* Pre-Alpha demos when we think we've made significant progress.

PLEASE don't discuss anything unless it's relevant to reaching that goal.

If you want to talk about off-topic stuff, visit the Off-Topic Thread.

Notable new versions of demos will come when they come.

If you want the full version, get in line. Like any other internet based project, it'll be done when it's done. We're not working on this 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. We're doing this in our free time, it's not our job. Real life will get in the way, whether it be school, actual jobs or whatever. So if you want to speed things along, see how you can help. If you can't; I'm afraid you'll just have to be patient. We want this done as much as you do.

Frame Data
    Animation Checklist

Previous Thread
    The thread that started it all

Staff
    Last edited by frozenMeatpopsicle; 04-03-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Re: Homestrife 4⅓ - Development Thread 2

Hello, new thread!
    Fear the power of red, for it is strong as my passion, and warm as my rage
    --
    How fitting that someone that thinks hope is bogus is the Seer of Hope...
    --
    Homestrife discussion memo: @HStrife_413_OT

Dungeoneering Undergraduate onFyre's Avatar

Thanks for the compliment, Creature! I've had a few more ideas for combo counts. I realise that with a game inspired my Smash Bros. you won't need too many, so pick and choose:
    uH, yEAH
    yay!
    sick
    BeAuTiFuL
    R-EELY good!
    :33< Sw33t!
    T4STY!
    Impressive.
    wwonderful
    [Excellent]
    E%ceptional
    Impossi8le!!!!!!!!

@Frozen: Did someone mention having SBaHJ's arena as the gimmicky one? And did you have any in mind? Obviously you need stairs in there somewhere, so maybe if you fall off the one side of the screen you could come tumbling down on the other.
    Last edited by onFyre; 01-13-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Can't have enough colourful words!

Yes, the SBaHJ stage is the gimmick filled one. It's supposed to be 1. the absolute extreme in terms of amount of gimmicks and 2. Kinda like a test bed to see what we can do with stages and gimmicks. Basically, add as many gimmicks as you feel you can without going overboard. I imagine there is such a thing as too much, so don't go completely over-the-top wacko with them.

Stairs are clearly a must, but anything else you can think of should be fine. Just make sure at least one gimmick does damage.

EDIT: Oh! For the combo counter thing, Vriska has to say something for an 8 hit combo.
    Last edited by frozenMeatpopsicle; 01-13-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Homestrife 4 1/3
    My Tumblr
    Chumhandle: frozenMeatpopsicle

Insert Generic Title Here. N0vaFlame's Avatar

SBaHJ could have a whirlybird fly in from the top of the stage every so often as a damaging gimmick.
    This signature is blank. You are imagining this text. This is not a subliminal message.

Don't mind me, just posting to follow the thread as I won't be able to help with anything for quite some time.

Here's an updated logo collection. The 1 and 2 are the current and current with stuff updated to match the new versions respectively.

So far number 8 is the popular one. I'm partial to any in the 2nd(3 & 4) or 4th(7 & 8) row myself, the rest not so much.
    Homestrife 4 1/3
    My Tumblr

Essays EVERYWHERE vexatiousIdler's Avatar
    The Land of Rain and More Rain (Northern Ireland)

For the logo, I'd say either 2, 5, or 10 should be used, cause I think the rest have fonts that are -too- cartoony, despite it being Homestuck, because at the same time it is a fighting game, and if buying so fucking many has taught me anything, the logos usually have a really wild look to them (ala Blaz and Guilty) or a very methodical, manufactured look (ala SSF2THDR or UMvC3). Just my thoughts.
    vexatiousIdler/restlessRapier

I think 6 and maybe 7 and 9 are the only ones I'd consider cartoony. The rest are mostly thick, bold fonts. In any case, here's the source Illustrator file I'm working with(right-click download). Maybe someone has better alternate fonts.

On another note, I've started posting some stuff to my art tumblr. When we get further into development and people start maybe posting stuff on theirs, I'll make a new one specifically for Homestrife in order to collect it all up.
    Homestrife 4 1/3
    My Tumblr

Out of those, I think 4 works pretty well. Any one of them needs a little kerning, though, I guess.
    Philosophers are unsure; Godbert does not care.

Bec Noir is an Adorable Puppy Paradoxius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frozenMeatpopsicle View Post
    ...EDIT: Oh! For the combo counter thing, Vriska has to say something for an 8 hit combo.
    And Sollux needs to be on two.

An Overall Fungi TheAtomicMushroom's Avatar

just a quick question about the whole voice audition thing-a-ma-jargen. are the previous auditions from the previous thread still valid or will there be a second round of auditions including a script of lines and such for proper comparison of clips?

I'm not sure a 2-hit combo should get a unique phrase, but we are slightly parodying stuff, so I suppose we could. I'm thinking maybe having every number up to a certain limit to have a unique phrase pop-up. The limit will be determined by that maximum possible combo I suppose, though we won't really know for a good long time. I imagine it'll probably cut-off somewhere around 20-30. It seems Skullgirls has a huge amount of them; apparently unique phrases all the way from 2-100, then more spread out from 101 up to 999. There's also little references from other games and such littered all the way through it.

For comparison, here's the full MVC3 list:

@Atomic: Darlos, Cyborg, fanvoicereview and I should hopefully be discussing voices in a pesterchum memo tomorrow. I believe we've each gone through every single submitted audition, so tomorrow we'll whittle down each character to 3 voices for round 2. I will then email each person with details for what to do if you've been selected to move on. Then it's a matter of putting scripts together to send to you guys.

I apologize that it's taken this long to get our shit sorted.
    Homestrife 4 1/3
    My Tumblr

Just wondering if the Song list document is free to edit?

Also, I feel as if unique phrases for every hit is kind of going overboard because if one character has a beam form of attack for example (Jack Noir) the counter will go too quickly and will lose the effect of the unique phrases. I think a phrase every 2nd hit will be more than enough. And it will cut down the work needed by half.

Whatever the highest combo is, once you pass it, Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff just keep yelling about stairs every time you make a hit.

(or they do the background cheering from the wombo combo video)

Okay, I can't help but think we're a tad off topic here. Since voices are (hopefully) soon to be resolved, I think our priority should be the mini-scripts.

Here's the info and archive again:
    For the audition mini-script I'm thinking:

- Selection quote
    - 1 Entrance quote
    - 5 different special/super quotes (make stuff up for characters that don't have movesets)
    - 1 Victory Quote
    - Short hurt grunt reel, including KO (grunts/exertions on taking damage)
    - Short attack grunt reel (grunts/exertions on attacking)

The last 2 clearly shouldn't be scripted, they will of course be recorded on the spot by the actors.

Here's the line archive for reference:
    Keep scripts and stuff coming guys, we've only locked them in for Rose, Terezi and Feferi so far. I've collected hopefully all of the individual lines people have posted so far. You can see them all here:

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari no Kaze View Post
    Aradia Mini-Script! Now with punctuation, because I think that's better for audition purposes.

Also, are we getting our new thread soon? :3
    Homestrife 4 1/3
    My Tumblr

Equius:

Gamzze:

Tavros:

Sollux:

Sollux:

Dungeoneering Undergraduate onFyre's Avatar

Re: Logos; I like number 10, the angular letters remind me of the pixellated font used in the actual comic.

Bad Speller/Capatalizer WhyPurpleWhy's Avatar

oh wait just read the part underneath. okay got some generics for you. hope their alright.

Aradia

feferi
    Last edited by WhyPurpleWhy; 01-14-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Post... and then check for spelling mistakes. Damn I'm smooth .

John:

Dave:

Also, do you already have a VA for Equius? I'd like to try.
    Last edited by EnigmaticD; 01-14-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    My Tumblr
    Stuff:

Hey guys before you get carried away with the "Character x character" text thing.
    We kind of decided that it would be best if only certain characters had certain matchup lines? For the sake of not having to overload ourselves with a billion lines here, each character should have 3, generic entrance quotes that showcase their personality without alluding to who they're fighting [imo]. However, each time a special matchup is played, there's a special set of text to go with it? For example with John, we settled on the other 3 kids, Vriska and Karkat.
    If anything we should be working on something like a short audition that has a chance of showcasing the range for all the characters.

And so I can justify this post a bit, here's a couple spare lines for Nepeta.
    Entrance Quote: :33 this should b3 fun!
    1 of the specials: HYP3RTACKL3 POUNC3! [I just want her to bumrush and jump on somebody okay.]
    The spoiler of wonders awaits youuuuuu. OOC pesterchum handle: dystopicMagi Feel free to pester me whenever. :'D

Sorry about that. I've made the three generics, and suggestions for what to use them with. I'll hold off making a demo reel until scripts are locked in.
    My Tumblr
    Stuff:

Pronouns
    he/him/his

For Vriska:
    Special: M8ke. Her. P8y!!!!!!!!
    DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticD View Post
    John:
    Also, do you already have a VA for Equius? I'd like to try.
    Sorry dog, you're way too late. The cutoff for auditions was months ago.

Page 1 of 92 12341151 ... LastLast