MSPA Forums
Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: General Feedback

I want to be the foo's moirail Solarn's Avatar
    How can the new forum be superior to the old one if I keep getting error messages that the server is overloaded? This never happened on the old forum.

Also, boo to the MSPA fan art and romart threads being moved out of the MSPA forum. I hoped I'd never have to go near any "general" area in any forum for the rest of my life.

Also also, I hate how much space individual posts take up in vBulletin. It looks ugly. Couldn't you do something about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Draykon View Post
    My thoughts, so that you may swiftly ignore them:

-If there's an equivalent to the old [background] tag, it's doing a great job of hiding. (I see "highlight" there, but I've found no obvious way to change the color it highlights with, which kinda defeats the whole point.)
    -The transfer itself was pretty messy, spoiler tags and various formatting from old threads has been murdered. Just TRY going back and reading the Mutewood now.
    -The smooth buttons and fancy gradients everywhere have pretty much the exact opposite of stylistic compatibility with Andrew's policy of 'antialiasing is for squares' on the main site, and in the adventure. (Though you've already stated that my opinion regarding the theme is meaningless, I still feel I should say it)
    -The new rules are a fair bit longer than rules pages ought to be. You could almost certainly fit everything you wanted to say into one or two paragraphs.
    -Just a little thing, but the subtle change of blue to indicate 'new posts' is kinda hard to notice, especially compared to the old bright orange.

I'm sure there're plenty of amazing internal advantages to the new boards, but please try and keep in mind what this looks like to the average user.
    Your first mistake is assuming that I'm going to ignore any of that.

Deceptive tits. Art Team
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarn View Post
    Also, boo to the MSPA fan art and romart threads being moved out of the MSPA forum. I hoped I'd never have to go near any "general" area in any forum for the rest of my life.
    People like you are exactly the reason the threads were moved.

Links really shouldn't be the same color as normal text. Makes it hard to post alternate link titles.

Not sure if this counts as a style issue. It probably does.

-I will agree with Wheat that the orange new post notification isn't exactly easy to read.

-LOVE the video features.

-I can't change my avatar.

-My birthday has been transferred incorrectly!

That math is not even right! I am actually a July 16th guy.

- The "Quick reply" window has all of the feature buttons. Hitting "Reply" takes those away and replaces them with smilies.

-

-It seems that the fora still suffer from overload with a similar level of frequency to the old ones.

Other than that though, I'm digging the change.

Representative Ankylosaurus dragonpaul99's Avatar
    I noticed that the fora decided that I wasn't online anymore. Did you change the amount of time that the fora decides you are inactive and kicks you off? If so, do you think you could make it wait a little longer before making people log back in? It kicked me off during the 5 - 10 minutes in which I was reading the new rules. I don't think that is enough time, since it may take people several minutes to read threads if the page is long, or if they have several tabs open. Not to mention the time it takes to write longer posts. I think that you should give people more time before decided that they are inactive.

You know, unless it kicked me off for some other reason and I was mistaken, it which case, ignore this.

I'll take a look at that.

Pronouns
    ey/em/eirs
    Yeeeees,
    these forums have the ability to see the first post by highlighting the topics name!
    I love that, now I don't have to go to every topic

Things that kind of bug me --
    1) Please don't do this. Some kind of setting where the forums center on my screen instead of stretching would be really awesome.
    2) Some option to change the amount of threads that show up per page (not posts, threads.) More specifically on the "show new posts" page, if that setting happens to be different. a bigger pipe dream would be asking for some kind of permanent filter on that, so I can pick and choose which threads on which forums show up.
    3) An option to turn off the automatic image resize that seems to be in place. My monitor's big enough that it won't stretch the page for me. (this kind of contradicts suggestion one but phpbb3 has the posts stretch dynamically? I dunno)
    4) Also, my internet is absolutely awful, often causing more than half of the images in a given page of the fanart thread to break. On vBulletin, when images break, they just vanish, causing me to have to refresh every time I want to see a piece of fanart I couldn't load, which causes other images to break and so on. If broken images could break in a way similar to phpbb3 (text that is easy to right click and reload), it'd be a godsend and make perusing the fanart threads to actually be possible.
    5) Links are unreadable when previewing posts.

Otherwise I am super duper digging this. I like vBulletin a lot and approve of the switch.
    Break away the day, and bring to me the night.
    deviantart | last.fm | tumblr | twitter

Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Why can we upload avatars and stuff, shouldn't that be disabled?

I noticed that the normal reply button doesn't work in Firefox 4.0b1, but I guess that's something you can't really fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorccc0 View Post
    Why can we upload avatars and stuff, shouldn't that be disabled?

I noticed that the normal reply button doesn't work in Firefox 4.0b1, but I guess that's something you can't really fix.
    that's how it works with vbulletin. It's faster and more secure.

Honestly, I hate this. My RP troll's chat style is completely ruined (types w/ colons between letters. all of them have become smiles), none of the tags work, our old smilies are gone, and everything is so inconvenient.

I want to be the foo's moirail Solarn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tynic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarn View Post
    People like you are exactly the reason the threads were moved.
    I don't get it.

I really appreciate all the work on transitioning to the new forums.

I came to this thread to say that the "new posts" and "no new posts" colors were too similar, which seems to have been said by a few people. But I also found the icons really confusing -- an envelope that someone has already opened, with paper spilling out, means "new posts". A still-sealed envelope means "you've already read all of these posts". It's very confusing.

Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaon View Post
    Things that kind of bug me --
    1) Please don't do this. Some kind of setting where the forums center on my screen instead of stretching would be really awesome.
    There's a simple way to fix that.
    1. Install Stylish for Firefox or Google Chrome.
    2. Add a new rule:
    body {width: 78%; margin: auto; !important}
    that applies to http://www.mspaforums.com/*
    You can increase or decrease the width as you desire, but I think the old forum was set to 78%.
    Last edited by julianjames7; 07-22-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: modified the code so it would be centered as well

pretty cool, but i've noticed i can't edit the title of the thread i made. did you guys remove that or am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by thetoastking View Post
    pretty cool, but i've noticed i can't edit the title of the thread i made. did you guys remove that or am i missing something?
    That should be fixed now. If it's not, link me to the thread.

LORD OF THE SQUIDDLEDRAGONS
    Whee, so a few things.

1. I sure am getting kicked off a lot. (Or at least am unable to view the forums due to a lack of memory or some such.) Any fix for this? I know there was something along these lines earlier today when the forums were offline.
    2. With the new system, will we be able to extend threads past 100 pages without bugs?
    3. Will there be skins available at some point for us to use?
    4. I really appreciate the quick reply feature. I'm used to that from previous forums I've been on, and especially in the last 30 minutes before the forums went down two days ago, it took a minute or two for the reply button to show, and even then I was unable to reply due to the large number of users.
    5. I agree with swapping the read/unread images, or simply going back to what we had been using. (Although I can see bolded topics have new posts, unbolded don't.)
    6. This last one is a bit more personal. Is the site safer now than it was in the past? I've been using Safari to browse MSPA and the fora since I got some nasty viruses (and a rootkit) from viewing the third Dave Strife flash the morning after it came out, when using Firefox. (And I had to wipe the computer completely) Preceding that there were other incidents in which malware and trojans were downloaded onto my computer whilst visiting other pages, especially flash pages, for some reason, and it was more or less the final straw for me.

Deceptive tits. Art Team
    Admin
    Really? That would have been good to know about when it happened, to be honest. I'm not aware of anyone reporting malware from the main site or the forums previously.

I'm slightly disconcerted about the fanart threads being moved. It makes the MSPA forum look sort of lonely.

I'm loving the shiny new forum, though!

Red face

Well, everything formerly in background or spoiler tags got mauled to a point beyond recognition, any apostrophe within said tags became &39;!, quotation marks â€oe, and every tag is followed up by an ugly 1glel6uh. That means the entire collab-roleplay section exploded. Have a little look within: http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...=1#post3773310.

Not at all related:
    • I'd like to be able to hide info like my birthday from other users, and not just have it out in the open
    • Grey is by far the least pleasing colour to type upon.
    • The URLs on any page but actual posts vanished
    • I don't think the preview background colour is the same as the ordinary post background colour
    • The emoticons now are a maelstrom of three different types
    • All the posting functions or ways to spruce up your post were hidden
    • Size tags have been degraged from a 1-200 scale to a 1-7 scale. Besides leaving much less options, it entirely broke the previous scame, because everything now meant to be tiny, but still is more than size 8 is in the largest possible size.

Why do i get the feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Pereza0 View Post
    Why do i get the feeling

I am so happy that it exists though. I also love how things aren't all indented when spoilered now. Not excessively anyways, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalBookworm View Post
    I'm slightly disconcerted about the fanart threads being moved. It makes the MSPA forum look sort of lonely.

I'm loving the shiny new forum, though!
    They belong there, the Art forum needs a little more life, most artist who posted there never left the MSPA forum.

Now you will probably be able to see their stuff in the doodle thread too, this is good news

Mspa Forum is getting sort of crowded anyway

The main index is currently called "MSPA Forums" in the tab of the browser, which is only one character off from the actual MSPA Forum.

It would be nice to have it renamed to "MSPA Forum Index", or something similar.

Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast